vnc'ing

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

vnc'ing

Post by Guest »

someone told me that you can get a graphical login on joshua rather than just the console that you get with putty.

what program can i use to do this, and do i use the same setup as when connection with putty?
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

No. DON'T do that. It just puts unnecessary stress on the server. You don't need a graphical login. The number of times it gets whored over by someone's x-session is stupid.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

BigG wrote:No. DON'T do that. It just puts unnecessary stress on the server. You don't need a graphical login. The number of times it gets whored over by someone's x-session is stupid.
ahh come on.. I love my x-sessions.. I use it very often.. hmm maybe its my x-session lol.. nah doubt it.. joshua should be able to quote.. u should simply use realVNCviewver.. u use ur specified password for the session.. u need a DCS username+password tho to set that up.. so sorry to all u none comp sci students :D
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Still doesn't change the fact that you /really/ don't need to run an x-session on joshua
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

BigG wrote:Still doesn't change the fact that you /really/ don't need to run an x-session on joshua
no u dont.. but I still do for running an extract version of firefox and also to run other visual apps
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Can't you just get an X server running on your local box and change call 'export DISPLAY=yourIP:displayport'?

Cocodude
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

cocodude wrote:Can't you just get an X server running on your local box and change call 'export DISPLAY=yourIP:displayport'?

Cocodude
except they wont have access to many of the on-campus servers as quickly.. and they will have the same ip as my laptop.. etc many reasons for me using an x-session on joshua