The new (old maybe) share limit

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

alchos

The new (old maybe) share limit

Post by alchos »

Hey, whats with the huge 20gig share limit. I read the post about it being risen to this kind of amount when large numbers of users were connecting but i think its still a little too high.

I dont think for all cases its because people dont want to share i know this isnt the case for me for example. I have a 28gig max laptop, where i have just over 10gig of usefull stuff to share. Not only do alot of laptops have low disk space i understand the warwick ready laptops suplied to many students on campus only have around 25 gig drives also.

It just seems quite a large number to share for those who cannot possibly fill up with that amount.
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Well get an external hard disk drive if you are desperate to use the hub at peak times.

Unfortunately for you, there are a lot of people who suddenly share more files whenever the minimum share increases.
alchos

Post by alchos »

well yeah, i understand it an all for the majority of users, so i cant complain but just wanted to point out some peoples situation. Is it true that the share limit will be around 5gig again at off-peak times? So prehaps i can connect at a later date and at least try to fill up the rest of my hard drive and maybe buy a new external one? It would take years to download 10gig with a normal connection :?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

It is an unfortunate solution I know, and yes we do know that a 20GB share cuts off alot of laptop users, but it's currently the only one available to limit the number of people on twofo in order to make the hub useable.
If anybody thinks they have a better solution (or any other thoughts) we'd all be glad to here it.
(Please post on this thread viewtopic.php?t=50 as that's where Cocodude first mentioned the idea and where all of the actual limits are)
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

If you connect when there aren't many users connected, i.e. the share limit is still low you will not be disconnected when (if) it increases to a higher level
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

BigG's point is very important. Lots of people seem to think that the minimum share has simply increased to 20GB :-/ I'll emphasise on the main page that you can connect during off peak times and you will remain connected even if the share limit increases.

Yesterday, after the min share increases, we had a maximum of about 220 users and almost 14TB was being shared! The hub can handle a few more users, but I'll see how it copes with the same settings for the next few days; it may be slightly decreased in future.

Cocodude[/b]
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

just to let everyone know that the share system is still implemented in the same way.. and it has not given problems..

also the share limit is mostly at 5GB so most users should have no problems
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

That's because we haven't had more than 105 users for months
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yes and its all ITS's fault!!! :P

or maybe just a lot of busy ppl :D
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

tho actually as the stats show.. chat has still continued.. tho with small low periods:

had more than 105 users for months

http://manyhappy.members.beeb.net/Stats/twofo.html
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

I meant at any one time, not in total
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

ahh but I meant in total..

and this will mean more ppl come join us in the crazy twofo chat...

unless ITS prevent them from chatting withus.. lame :(