'TwoFo' Network

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

adfad666

'TwoFo' Network

Post by adfad666 »

people, add yourself to the 'TWOFO' Workgroup instead of MSHOME or WORKGROUP etc and enable sharing on your PC! i have done so already, and if everyone has their shares their folders that they share on DC that should be a pretty good solution untill something else arrives...

i've done it already so if everyone else does so that that'd be cool

this should be cross platform as well, i know it works in linux as i use ubuntu on my P3 700MHz laptop and you can use Samba to share, i'm not sure about anything on a Mac, but only crazy people use Macs so thats ok
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Can you confirm that this works across different halls, i.e. through the switchers/routers? If it does, I can make if 'twofo policy' for now.

Cocodude
adfad666

Post by adfad666 »

i dont know how to test this as i dont know anyone well enough outside of cryfields to test this today, but i can take my laptop to the library later tonight to see if i can see my desktop from there...

as of now there are 10 'workgroups' of which i can access 4 or 5, and in them i counted about 25 stations, mainly in MSHOME and WORKGROUP but it is early in the morning, i have seen atleast that many in MSHOME alone before in the evenings!

anyone not in cryfields see my PC?
muhaimina

Post by muhaimina »

How are we supposed to set this up? Excuse my computer illiteracy!
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Assuming that you are running windows XP [or 2000 iirc]

Control Panel > System > 'Computer Name' tab
Click on the 'Change' button where it says 'To rename this computer or join a domain'
Select the 'Workgroup' radio button at the bottom if it isn't selected already and type 'TWOFO' in there :)

It might require you to do a restart as Windows is lame - I cba to test it for you ;)
johnno

Post by johnno »

Each hall of residence is generally on a different subnet, and so I don't expect the windows file sharing option to really work.

Anyone remember the "WarwickPiazza Search" from 3 years ago...just before duefo was set up!!?
lost&found

Post by lost&found »

hmm, that sounds interesting!
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

johnno wrote:Each hall of residence is generally on a different subnet, and so I don't expect the windows file sharing option to really work.

Anyone remember the "WarwickPiazza Search" from 3 years ago...just before duefo was set up!!?
I remeber using that, it was ...terrible. You used to wait a while for your search to be processed, then the results would probably be irrelevant and no longer online.

Any windows share indexing service would certainly be shut down by ITS, since there would be both the hundreds of users accessing it, and also it would need to scan the entire network regularly, which would make it highly visible.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

As I posted in a different topic

I tested the Microsoft share last year it is not allowed through the subnets. So U being in Cryfield may be able to to see:
Cryfield
Hurst
Redfern
Rootes

Or u may even be restricted to you own node (which in this case would probably just be cryfield)

I think thats the 4 residences in the "Main Campus subnet" but its more or less anyway... To be honest this is a bad idea.. my philosophy is never to trust microsoft to help u with a proper solution!! Would be very inefficient to find something u wanted to download as ITS dont allow the "Microsoft Search" that existed b4 duefo..