Residences on campus

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

God

Post by God »

From what I can understand Warwick University pays the following for the JANET connection etc:

£76,340.76 Connection cost

£405,000 Bandwidth costs

probably bits and bobs of others too.....

so £481,340.76 for the total pipe....

resnet is 80/240 or a quarter.

Your talking £120,335.19 connection costs.

Now lets talk about hardware etc etc etc.

Easy to see where the month goes.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

God wrote:From what I can understand Warwick University pays the following for the JANET connection etc:

£76,340.76 Connection cost

£405,000 Bandwidth costs

probably bits and bobs of others too.....

so £481,340.76 for the total pipe....

resnet is 80/240 or a quarter.

Your talking £120,335.19 connection costs.

Now lets talk about hardware etc etc etc.

Easy to see where the month goes.
those figure look much better.. cus the government give universities good deals through JANET.. but about hardware costs.. Its my impression that they havent upgraded hardware much, which is the problem.. the money that should have been used there seems to have been diverted elsewhere.. wat I'm saying is that I think Warwick Accommodation have diverted the money to either other areas (unrelated to the network) or simply into profits..
God

Post by God »

I'm not sure...but its highly possible that accommodation pocket a part of the internet costs...

they are a profit making organisation remember.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

God wrote:I'm not sure...but its highly possible that accommodation pocket a part of the internet costs...

they are a profit making organisation remember.
yea but they still have to provide a certain level of maintance otherwise how can they expect to continually deliver and acceptable service.. I reckon they've been greedy and not bothered investing in long-term maintance of the network.. and now we're seeing the results!!