SHAKESPEER + ACTIVE MODE + STUNNEL Quick tutorial

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

hoplaa

SHAKESPEER + ACTIVE MODE + STUNNEL Quick tutorial

Post by hoplaa »

Here's the brief outline of the steps you have to take in order to set up Shakespeer with OS X to work with Twofo. It's fairly simple in the end, and totally worth it (after two days of use, I wish to impress on you the absolute totality of how bloody worth it is), so very very recommended, indeed. And did I mention how worth it really...

A more detailed, noobie-friendlyesque version will appear later, with detailed instructions for compiling.
  • 1) Make sure you have Developer Tools installed. They can be installed on the OS X install Disc under Optional Installs/Xcode Tools/XcodeTools.mpkg ...

2) Download, extract and compile stunnel from stunnel.org - should compile just fine.

3) Download and install SLL Enabler, hosted at the time of writing at http://www.swissdisk.com/support/downlo ... nabler.dmg

4) Download Shakespeer from http://shakespeer.googlecode.com/files/ ... -0.9.7.dmg

5) Start Shakespeer, share some files and folders in order to get it hashing while you complete the rest of the setup

6) Start SSL Enabler. It will ask to install Stunnel. Click yes, the install happens in the background, but doesn't work very well in reality (so yes, that's why we need step 2), but at least it wont ask you again. Then, configure followingly:

Localport: any of your choosing. eg. 8000.
    Remote Server IP: hub.twofo.co.uk
    Remote Port: 4146

--> Press Save

7) Go to Shakespeer settings, set network mode to Active, and enter your ip-address manually in the settings (it wont work with automatic mode). Port can be anything really (eg. 9176).

8 ) Go to bookmarks: Add a bookmark.

Name: twofo
    Address: 127.0.0.1:8000 (or the port you chose earlier, obviously)

9) Connect and enjoy a healthier (??) Valknut-free life at twofo.
ps. make sure you dont have any spaces in your nick, or you wont get on the hub...

Love and kisses,

Hoplaa !

edit: AND, btw. if there is some small and energetic OS X fan (as small and adamantly energetic as the fans on my macbook...omgLoLrotfl...so fucking lame) out there to replace the installStunnel.sh inside the SSL Enabler package with a working script and pre-compiled stunnel files, the package could be tweaked into an easy, no command-line/devtools needed solution, adapted for the twofo-MacNoobies.

(Tested with OS X 10.5, 10.5.2, 10.5.3)
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Excellent work! Would you be able to create a page on the twofo Wiki at http://www.twofo.co.uk/wiki/ and add these details?

If a second person is able to follow these instructions and get it working, I'll put a link to the article on the main twofo page.
http://www.gigatux.com - Value Linux Virtual/Shared Hosting
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

I've already moved that onto the shakespeer section on the how to connect page

http://www.twofo.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Connect#Mac_Users

If as Cocodude says it works for other people I'll move it up a bit to make it the recommended client rather than valknut.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

ah good to see us expanding into the mac territory despite not being a huge fan of the jobites
hoplaa

jobites suckitos !

Post by hoplaa »

One of my friends has said that I constantly have
Steve Jobs' cock lodged in my mouth
...because I was trialing the new MobileMe service. (Btw. verdict: avoid...unless you have an iPhone)...no one likes Jobites.

But yeah, especially at Warwick the Mac-population is quite sizeable, yet often less savvy than the Linux-geeks ! I think you will find more and more mac-users who don't know/care who Jobs is as long as they have the same computer as Carrie Bradshaw !
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

Good point hoplaa, quite true what you say. Guess a lot of them are sort of misled by the marketing and don't know/realise the full potential of the machine
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Rampage wrote:Good point hoplaa, quite true what you say. Guess a lot of them are sort of misled by the marketing and don't know/realise the full potential of the machine
still better than them using windows tho :)
Glaurung

Re: SHAKESPEER + ACTIVE MODE + STUNNEL Quick tutorial

Post by Glaurung »

Thank you for good tutorial.