Resnet AUP

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

slinky

Resnet AUP

Post by slinky »

Hi, I'm just about to move back to campus for my final year, I've been reading the AUP for the resnet:
4. Network Abuse: This will incur a 56 day disconnection period and £100 reconnection charge. Examples of network abuse include, but are not limited to, port scanning, connection of hubs, switches, wireless access points, routers, and unauthorised servers to the Network Connection in your room. In severe cases, for example where serious illegal activity has taken place or where repeated breaches of the conditions in this acceptable use policy have occurred, action may be bought under the terms of the University’s major disciplinary process (see University Calendar, Regulation 23). This action may result in the permanent removal of access to the ResNet Service for the remainder of the year, and may also prevent a resident from returning to Halls in future years.
Problem is, I'm planning to take my wireless router so that I can connect my PC (wired), my laptop (wired or wi-fi), and my phone (w-ifi) to the network. Obviously, I'd be using both WPA2, and MAC filtering, so that even if there's a comp-sci student living next to me, they'd be unlikely to use my wi-fi connection.
Would they actually be able to detect that I'm using a router, and thus give me the b&hammer and fine, or is this just the usual ITS crap-talk which I'm used to from back in my first year?

Thanks for any responses.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

If you can turn off network broadcasting that would be best, particularly if you are in a hall near to central campus, and make sure NAT is set up on the router (which it should be by default anyway) just so that you are only taking up 1 IP from the network.
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Also [possible the safest way] would be for you to stick the access point internally and use ICS on your desktop [or iptables, if you are that way inclined]

That way you would only be connecting a single device to their network - everything else will be NATed :)

That said, switching off broadcasting and using WPA2 is always useful - it would take several hours to break your key as opposed to a couple of minutes ;)
ZeeC

Post by ZeeC »

Something I got caught with as well was having DHCP active on the router. Make sure you switch that off too.
The other penguins made me do it
slinky

Post by slinky »

ZeeC wrote:Something I got caught with as well was having DHCP active on the router. Make sure you switch that off too.
Did they actually fine you for it?

But I thought that having DHCP on a router was one of the ways of doing NAT (as opposed to choosing static local IPs yourself), and that it wouldn't be noticable from the public network. Or are you talking about something else?
k28

Post by k28 »

slinky wrote:
ZeeC wrote:Something I got caught with as well was having DHCP active on the router. Make sure you switch that off too.
Did they actually fine you for it?

But I thought that having DHCP on a router was one of the ways of doing NAT (as opposed to choosing static local IPs yourself), and that it wouldn't be noticable from the public network. Or are you talking about something else?
the dhcp on the router must have been trying to act as a dchp for the entire resnet, and was hence detected.
ZeeC

Post by ZeeC »

Indeeed. And despite having unplugged the router I still had to present a laptop to ITs for inspection.

Go figure.

I reimaged smeagol and said. Knock yourself out.

So he hit himself with it.
The other penguins made me do it
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Yes...inspection. Of course the people who do the inspecting probably use DC++ and really couldn't give a damn, but those motions are always fun to go through.
slinky

Post by slinky »

Okay, I was talking with some people about this on the hub, and I don't think I made it clear enough.
My router is a BT voyager 1500 DSL router, which means that it doesn't have phone line input for internet, it has ethernet internet input.
So doesn't this mean that it's pretty safe to connect it up, as long as I've got NAT enabled? ("router mode")
This is because the DHCP only assigns addresses for anything connected to the 4 "wired network" ports, rather than the "Internet" port. At least, that's my reasoning. Opinion in the hub was divided. :P
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

If there is a separate ethernet uplink port it should be fine. If it were a router/modem with a phone line input then it would broadcast DHCP on all the ethernet ports.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Wait a minute, if it is a DSL modem/router that means it has a phone line input surely...
slinky

Post by slinky »

Yeah astro, I think the store labelled it wrong, or something.
Either way, it's not got a modem in it, it just lets you share an internet connection which you plug into it.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

IN which case it will be fine as long as you have the cable going to resnet plugged into the incoming connection port, NAT etc etc which you already know
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yes if you use a router and enable NAT it will not try to assign IPs to the whole network. It will only assign local IPs to the local ethernet ports. Your external ethernet port (or WAN port) will then link up to the resnet and you will appear to be only using one machine.

I did this back in the day, though this was before the ITS crackdown. However the technical aspects don't change and so you should be fine.