Warwick to get a 10Gbit connection to Janet - June 08?

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

Zizzi

Warwick to get a 10Gbit connection to Janet - June 08?

Post by Zizzi »

I was just reading something very interesting.

http://wiki.rscwmsystems.org.uk/images/5/50/MidMAN3.ppt

And apparently - on slide 12 - with this new MidMAN3 network coming online...Warwick is gonna get a 10Gbit connection to Janet!

I wonder if IT Services will allow any of this bandwith to filter through to resnet....because frankly - 300Kbits/sec is less than in many developing countries.
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

I very much doubt they will get a 10gigE connection. They currently have a 1gigE line coming in from JANET.

Commercial hosting companies don't even have 10gigE lines many times. Bandwidth isn't exactly cheap, especially that kind of bandwidth :P
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Zizzi: Hmmm interesting, that should provide a lot more stability to Midman, although tbh, Midman itself has been pretty stable this year.

It would, however allow them to perform maintenance on either of the Warwick links without having to take the whole lot offline.

Nice to see that the universities are actually bothering to revamp their network to keep up with the increasing use of computers and ever-increasing data set sizes. Just a shame that the commercial broadband providers appear to be unable to take a leaf out of their book.