SATA and USB HD enclosure

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

SATA and USB HD enclosure

Post by cocodude »

Hey dudes,

I know some of you have insane numbers of hard drives, enough that you don't hae enough room inside your computers so need to put them elsewhere.

I have a nice hard drive that I'd like to use in both my desktop and my laptop. My desktop has an external SATA connection whilst my laptop only has USB. Thus, I want an external HD caddy that works with with direct SATA and USB. Does such a thing exist?

Ta,

Cocodude
http://www.gigatux.com - Value Linux Virtual/Shared Hosting
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

One of these, perchance? :)

Though clearly Firewire >>>> USB
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Cool, looks OK. OK then, find me a USB, Firewire and SATA one :)

LazyCocodude
http://www.gigatux.com - Value Linux Virtual/Shared Hosting
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Firewire and USB2 are rare as unicorn shit... and as far as I am aware, Firewire and eSATA doesn't exists... soooooo

:'(
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

indeed clearly firewire is more leet :)

One of the reasons I've always liked Lacie, they did the Firewire + USB combo (and iLink for the mac ppl with the triple interface) before most other ppl started with them. Was always nice to be able to use firewire when I could and otherwise fallback to USB. And if anyone is playing with Firewire + SATA combos I'd be looking in that direction, though I don't remember whether they still say Enclosures, don't think they do in Europe anyway. But likely that's the kinda group of companies that's likely to have it (IF IT EXISTS).

I've not bought new hardware for my systems in too long, will need to do a small buying spree after exams... hmmm but probably should wait till I've moved so I don't have extra stuff to move with... lame.. oh well end of summer then :)