does xbox live work on campus connection?

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

keloid

does xbox live work on campus connection?

Post by keloid »

hi, im thinking of bringing my xbox 360 with me onto campus for next term.

Just wondering whether i will be able to play online on xbox live?

does anyone have any info on this?

a quick google search says the ports required are:

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

don't if that helps at all...

ta
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

if it needs ports ... then ... fuck knows. ask him
is that piece of crap only worth playing online ? is singleplayer that crap ? does it even do single player ?!
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Ports tend to be only required if you are hosting games rather than simply connecting to servers to join in. One would hope that they didn't create the thing then require everybody using it to learn how to do port forwarding

(In other words I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work having thought about it)
Last edited by astropoint on Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

astropoint wrote:Ports tend to be only required if you are hosting games rather than simply connecting to servers to join in. One would hope that they didn't create the thing then require everybody using it to learn how to do port forwarding

(In other words I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work having thought about it)
though we are talking about ITS (ie Gestapo rule and highly incompetent) so (1) the network may not be able to handle a game play connection, with lag simplying meaning that u keep loosing the connection to the game. (2) the traffic shaper may for some odd reason think u're p2p data and therefore slow it down. thus causing a time-out on ur game

Basically don't have high hopes and also remember u'll need to plug out ur computer (laptop or desktop) as u cannot have a router or switch in ur room. This all said try it and it may just work, though you may have to live with loosing connection in the middle of a game etc.
Ad

Post by Ad »

It works, enough said
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

Hmm, 1 year old post :P Well done indeed Ad
Ad

Post by Ad »

the one year old post can be viewed by millions of people and it saves them trawling through the rants listed above.......
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

ok
uminum

Post by uminum »

i have an xbox 360 and it only worked when i plugged it in