Restoring Windows XP Home...Safe Mode not working...

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

Zizzi

Restoring Windows XP Home...Safe Mode not working...

Post by Zizzi »

HI guys, I am in a bit of a problem....my Windows is fucked...and it happened coz (i think) i changed something in the registry.

Also Safe mode...restore from previous version...everything results in a BSOD....I am currently using Ubuntu 5.10 - from the CD...thank God for that!

Is there anyway I can access the Windows registry and undo the changes directly from Ubuntu?

I have lost my recovery CD and so thats out of the question. Further my data is waaay to important for me to format.

Please help!!!

Thanks,,,Z
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Not that I know off. You'd probably just be better off backing up the files you need then doing a format rather, than fiddling further with the registry (assuming there is even a way)
Borrow somebody's external HDD if you don;t have anything yourself
Zizzi

Post by Zizzi »

The problem with that is the partition is NTFS...trying to mount with ntfs-3g...results in "permission denied".

So I cannot even backup my data...and format...any ideas?

Thanks
Zizzi

Post by Zizzi »

Also...is there anyway to force Windows to run chkdsk...from within Ubuntu...on the next reboot...i have a feeling that chkdsk might solve it...
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Can you not get a friends to download and burn a windows iso for you off DC?
If you install a different version of windows onto the drive (into C:\WINNT for instance) and making sure you choose different login names, it ought not to overwrite any files on the drive already and should give you a working copy of windows. This will enable you to get on to make a backup of files (hopefully anyway). Not sure how well you;d be able to access files in My Documents etc as they might be encrypted.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ <--- "might" be able to help there.

As for running chkdisk, again you really need access to a Windows CD. If you have that you can boot off the CD and run the recovery console, from which you can run chkdisk

I know all of my solutions need access to a windows CD, but if you've buggered the OS, you really need the original installation disk for something to revert to
Zizzi

Post by Zizzi »

thanks buddy....appreciate the help!!

I guess I ll have to leave it for tomoro...and try and get the image tomoro....

thanks once again!
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Well back to the reading NTFS from linux, you don't need ntfs-3g to read files, the kernel ntfs module handles reading fine.

As far as I know, there is no way to read or write a windows registry from linux.

There is a program called ntfsfix (part of ntfsprogs) which is supposed to fix basic errors and schedule a file system check when windows boots. You probably need to be root to run this which can be tricky when running from a live cd.

I don't know much about ubuntu, but you could try the knoppix live cd. That's pretty good at auto detecting and mounting your disk partitions. With knoppix, you can press Control+Alt+F1 (or F2,F3 etc.) to switch to a root command prompt.
Zizzi

Post by Zizzi »

Ok I did the Ctrl Alt F1 thing in Ubuntu...and I got some sort of a prompt...

I ran NTFSFIX /dev/hda1 - my C: drive,

and it refused to mount...saying permission denied...then it also went onto say that the volume is corrupt

Any ideas?

Thx
Smelly_Kat

Post by Smelly_Kat »

Zizzi wrote:I ran NTFSFIX /dev/hda1 - my C: drive
Just checking - you did run the command as root (sudo) didn't you?
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Root prompts end with a #, like this:
[root@localhost ~]#

whereas normal users end with $ :
[ejs@localhost ~]$
Zizzi

Post by Zizzi »

its was a $ sign....so I guess not root....

can I login in the Live cd as root?

thx
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Try doing what Kat said - use sudo

"sudo mount /dev/sda1 /somewhere"
Zizzi

Post by Zizzi »

ah its ok....man.it was too hard...just did what the guy said earlier...reinstalled windows..backed up...format...reinstall

cheers tho...appreciate the help!
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

ubuntu lets u run sudo without a password usually. I had to change mine to actually put a password for the root account, so u should be able to just use sudo from the live CD. I haven't tested that myself. The Ubuntu live CD is just as good as the Knoppix live CD in reading NTFS in my experience and both do it automatically for me. I think it even mounted everything automatically for me (not entirely sure now that I think about it).
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Gentoo liveCD is pretty good too :)