So how do you use your bandwidth?

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

Zizzi

So how do you use your bandwidth?

Post by Zizzi »

Just interested in finding out - any new and cool things out there that will help me gobble up the 1.3gb a week limit in just hours......???

You Tube, MetaCafe, Yahoo Launch are some that come to mind.

Also, the University's own iCast (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/icast/) will be sure to help me get over my limit.

How do you get over your measly limits?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Latest rumours floating around are that the limits are not hard limits, so as long as you don't abuse them too heavily you won't get caught/stopped/cut off/throttled in your sleep.
And yes, all those will happily eat away at the weekly limit.

Best way to get around the limits - go onto main campus, use the connection there and download like crazy :wink: (Assuming you have a laptop of course.)
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

google videos as well will eat into ur bandwidth,
reinstall windows every day and get the windows updates,
download random drivers "for backup purposes" like all of xerox's printer drivers or sommat,
download the adobe reader package a couple of times ....
make a program to do a full refresh of a particularly big webpage every ten seconds overnight,
plenty ways :)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

why has no one mentioned Linux ISOs!!! come on... u can even get Linux DVD ISOs... they should definitely take out ur share limit!! even if it's a soft one :P
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

I was avoiding the subject so as not to attract you :wink:
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

I use a considerable amount of bandwidth keeping my "bleeding edge" linux install up to date.

But as far as downloading ISOs goes, why would I download them at 100KB/s when I could go into the department and download them at 3MB/s?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

xyzzy wrote:I use a considerable amount of bandwidth keeping my "bleeding edge" linux install up to date.

But as far as downloading ISOs goes, why would I download them at 100KB/s when I could go into the department and download them at 3MB/s?
not everyone has the priviledge of access to the "the department". So therefore it's still an argument against the ridiculous limit.
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

But everyone does have access to the machines in the campus work rooms, although that does involve using Windows.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

but surely you can;t downlaod large files to those as you only have a limited amount of hard drive space allocated to you (not very much for non CS students I suspect)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

exactly.. non-cs students only have their H drive.. cs students in their 1st or 2nd year don't have much space in dcs either, but they can bring an external in and connect that or they can simply hook their laptops up in dcs..

And as xyzzy very nicely pointed out.. in ITS labs it would all be windoze.. which lets face it would make work a lot harder and painful
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

It's true that the disk quotas on your ITS account is pretty small, however you can use a USB pendrive or find a writable temp directory on the local hard disk. Some of the machines have CD writers, so you can burn your ISOs there.

You're probably out of luck if you need a DVD iso, unless you happen to have an enormous usb pendrive.