Post by BigG »

cocodude wrote: (will of course repay)
Can we charge you Nodnol prices? :P
Smelly_Kat

Twofo Summer Camp 2007 Itinerary

Post by Smelly_Kat »

Twofo Summer Camp 2007 Itinerary

Friday 20th July and Saturday 21st July
Nothing is planned for these days apart from traveling and setting up camp – I suggest we eat dinner on the camp site and have a relaxing evening!

Sunday 22nd July
A trip into Ambleside for a general wander round and a chance to buy any forgotten items or extra camping equipment – note we are low on car space so don't go mad!!

Monday 23rd July
Walk 1 – Derwent Water – Difficulty Level: Very Easy (Flat Terrain)
A short walk, round Derwent Water – this is intended to be a walk everyone can take part in if they want to. If you do not wish to take part, we can drop you off somewhere nearby or on the way depending on where you'd like to go.

Tuesday 24th July
Climbing Trip - Brown Slabs (near Keswick)
Beginner level rock climbing, we will provide all the climbing equipment you need and set up all the routes for you so don't worry if you've never climbed before, it should be lots of fun! If you don't want to climb we can drop you off somewhere near by or on the way – just let us know in advance – there are several tourist attractions near Keswick we can take you to!

Wednesday 25th July
Walk 2 – Undecided Location/route – Difficulty Level: Moderate
Not recommended for everyone this will require a moderate level of physical fitness and stamina. It is essential you bring the correct kit for this walk, please don't be offended if we will ask to check your kit.

Thursday 26th July
Tourist Attractions – A day of visiting places of interest and doing general tourist type stuff! Feel free to suggest some places we can visit!

Friday 27th July
Walk 3 – Scarfel Pike – Difficulty Level: Hard
Not recommended for everyone this will require a high level of physical fitness and previous walking experience. If you find the moderate level walk difficult then this is not recommended for you! It is essential you bring the correct kit for this walk, please don't be offended if we will ask to check your kit.

We will leave from Wasdale Head and ascend via 'Lords Rake' and descend via 'Sty Head'

Again, we are happy to drop people off at places they'd like to visit and pick you up at the end of the day.

Saturday 28th July
Lazy Day! A restful day on the camp site to recover from the weeks activities and prepare for traveling home.

Sunday 29th July
Traveling home. We will need to vacate the camp site by 9am at the latest so we can get back in time for people to catch trains and buses home!

This is only a brief plan – feel free to add to it or suggest alternative activities. The activities listed will not take up the entire day [apart from the walk on Friday] so we can fit in much more. However, we do not want to be rushing around or setting time constraints on ourselves.

Please note: BigG and I will be participating in all of the above activities, we are happy to drop people off in places on the way or nearby to where we are going.
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Wow, I like the sound of this! Good work! :)

I don't have any hiking boots so if it's OK, I might have to get some early on.

Cocodude
http://www.gigatux.com - Value Linux Virtual/Shared Hosting
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

You'll have to get them before you go so you can break them in else they'll be hell to walk in!
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Good point. Any recommendations in that case?

Cocodude
Smelly_Kat

Post by Smelly_Kat »

Anything that's waterproof, comfortable, provides good ankle support and has a good tread for rocky terrain.

I suggest you wear them round the house for a couple of days to break them in and make sure they're not going to give you blisters!
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Depends how much you want/are willing to spend :P

Top-of-the range, you are looking at Gore-Tex lining for complete waterproofness [is that a word..?]

On the other hand, my pair [somewhat old and knackered now, I have to admit] are leather but a shitload of dubbin on them make them pretty water-resistant :)

Main thing is, like Kat said, make sure that they are comfy to wear [sounds silly, but the *correct* size for you] and have a good sole - too soft and they wear out quickly, too hard and they aren't really flexible enough :\
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

OK, fair enough. So, basically go into Blacks or that other one, the name of which escapes me, and get some shoes. Right, sorted :)

Cocodude
Smelly_Kat

Post by Smelly_Kat »

Excellent! So we'll be dragging you up the Pike then Cocodude? :D
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Youch, that sounds painful!

Cocodude
ZeeC

Post by ZeeC »

I'd love to give the Pike a shot, but if the gear I bring is not good, I guess it'll have to be another time.

Can't wait for the trip tho :-)
The other penguins made me do it
Smelly_Kat

Post by Smelly_Kat »

ZeeClone: You'll be fine provided those walking shoes you bring are OK - I suggest you strap your ankles up with something though!

So that's me, BigG, Zed0, ZeeClone and Cocodude doing the pike then - not a bad turnout :D
ZeeC

Post by ZeeC »

I'll make sure I've got some good gauze with me. Still got my ZO tape from my football days
The other penguins made me do it
whyiseverynicktaken

Post by whyiseverynicktaken »

Ooh me wantses do scarfel pike too! Provided of course that the other walks don't kill me first! :lol:
SpookyKid

Post by SpookyKid »

I'm sure I can manage the first walk, and the third is obviously not intended for me, but what does everyone think about the second. Also Kat, since you are currently in possession of my tent, do you intend to pitch it when you arrive at the camp site? if so then itsmonktastic can use it if he arrives before I do.
'The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame'