Problem with DC++

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

fatfran

Problem with DC++

Post by fatfran »

I have a pretty major problem with my DC++, wondered if anyone could help?

Whenever log onto the on campus hub, it seems fine, but then it stops to work almost immediately and my internet connection stops working completely, and the only way to get it back is to restart the computer. My internet works perfectly before I load up DC++, and its getting annoying.

Thanks
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Re: Problem with DC++

Post by astropoint »

Have you tried 'repairing' the network connection after it happens, as well as making sure DC++ is properly closed down again (kill the process in task manager if necessary)?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Are you on or off campus? How are you connecting to DC++ (LAN, wireless, 3G modem)?

It sounds like your connection is potentially getting flooded which could either be from having mal-configured DC++ or due to you having too many items downloading which spawns too many connections.

It is probably best if you give us more information so that someone on here has a better chance of diagnosing what your problem might be.
fatfran

Post by fatfran »

I am on campus and connecting through the warwick network (ethernet socket)

i never had problems the last two terms, but all this term i've had the problem where i can connect fine, but as soon as i start to download anything, the download slows down to 0 and my internet stops working completely.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Yes you said that first time :P
Might be worth reinstalling DC++ completely maybe? Can you test to see if you can still transfer files at network speeds not on DC++ (friend on campus on MSN "might" work, bit hit and miss that sometimes) maybe over the windows networking stuff with a friend if you have that enabled?
fatfran

Post by fatfran »

I've tried reinstalling completely, and after adding all my files to share, I got to about one film downloaded before it died
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Have you tried any of the other things I suggested?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

astropoint wrote:Yes you said that first time :P
Actually he only mentioned that he logged onto the campus hub, but not that he himself was on campus. There is a clear distinction!

fatfran:

My next question would be whether you have in the past installed any non-standard DC++ clients or perhaps another odd P2P filesharing program? It could well sound like a adware/spyware program is trying to flood your connection. Odd that it should only be when using DC++, but it isn't unheard of for spyware/adware to attach themselves to the connection of a single application rather than use the network connection directly.