Marketing Campaign

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Sounding good. I'm pretty sure a lot of Comp Sci people might not bother looking as they won't know such a thing exists, so I definitely reckon targeting them is a good move.
http://www.gigatux.com - Value Linux Virtual/Shared Hosting
k28

Post by k28 »

by the way, the quota's still at 5gb ... maybe it should be lowered now?

i'd suggest that rather than making it zero, it should be something small, like 100mb... which means that people will have to share at least one folder from the start.
..that way, once the quota increases, they can't use the excuse that they didn't know how to share.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Aye we normally have it at zero for the first few weeks of term, even though just a 1MB thing would work fine. Then I get to spam people continually until they bother doing something, just to annoy them as much as possible :P

Oh, and they can and will use that excuse, because somebody else set it up for them. People still use that in term 3....
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

I agree with Cocodude, we should concentrate on Maths and Computer Science departments but also use the freshers fair or somethng to distribute flyers to people from other departments too.

Also if possible doing it via societies is also good, but i would do it verbally rather than sending out emails etc

And pointing them to www.twofo.co.uk given astro's gotten it all cleaned up and easy to use.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

I totally agree with Cocodude's point that a lot of Comp Sci firsts years wont kno such a thing exists and so will likely be looking elsewhere rather than using twofo. Let's make it easy for them :)

Also definitely keep things verbal or flyers, no emails or other tracable forms of communication. We don't want to leave any breadcrumb trail for the uni (ie ITS) to use to hunt ppl down with :)

I also like the idea of a 1MB share as it immediately has the sharing aspect involved! Good work guys.. and good luck spamming the freshers!
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

echelon wrote:I also like the idea of a 1MB share as it immediately has the sharing aspect involved! Good work guys.. and good luck spamming the freshers!
I'm afraid I'm against this. If anything, it'll just encourage people to share their Windows directory. I believe there should be no share requirements for the first few weeks.
k28

Post by k28 »

cocodude wrote:
echelon wrote:I also like the idea of a 1MB share as it immediately has the sharing aspect involved! Good work guys.. and good luck spamming the freshers!
I'm afraid I'm against this. If anything, it'll just encourage people to share their Windows directory. I believe there should be no share requirements for the first few weeks.

perhaps, but on the other hand, if people doing this are caught early on, they might be persuaded to share their (initially small) download folder...which will then grow over the year, along with their share.
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

We usually (unless someone has been a cockend) give at least 1 weeks notice before increasing the min share so people do have plenty of time to sort things out.
mids

Post by mids »

when should this spammage be done do you reckon?? I'm thinking hit the pigeonholes on monday at some point... first day of the term and people are told to check them for notes and shit from tutors...
got to go to campus for a seminar thing on surviving 2nd year maths that day anyway.. :/
Kegger

Post by Kegger »

I can spam Psychology and Philosophy pigeon holes ^^
mids

Post by mids »

great success... didn't have enough for all the maths freshers, but a good 75% now have twofo flyers in their pigeonholes :)
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Thankyou mids. Well done! :D
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

Nice one mids, hope other departments have been reached too.
k28

Post by k28 »

handed out 40 or so flyers to random freshers in lakeside while i was helping them move in this weekend... still got one shift left, so i'll get a few more printed and handed out =)
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Nice work all - I'm impressed :)