Twofo Summer Camp 2007!

Any other social life talk.

Moderator: Operators

echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Smelly_Kat wrote:Currently, SpookyKid and Cocodude have a 3man tent to themselves each [note: I don't recommend putting more than 2 ppl in a 3man tent!]. It's up to you two how/if you want to share etc.
If I com I'll gladly share a tent with Cocodude.. Then we can call it the Linux tent :)
Blood God

Post by Blood God »

echelon wrote:we can call it the windows tent :)
It'd fall over all the time if you did that.
SpookyKid

Post by SpookyKid »

Blood God wrote:It'd fall over all the time if you did that.
lol

and I don't mind sharing a tent if the newbie is willing to take the advice of the dog.
'The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame'
Smelly_Kat

Twofo Summer Camp Kit List

Post by Smelly_Kat »

Kit List

As requested, here's a provisional kit list - I'll keep updating it as I remember things.

Clothing

Come prepared for all weathers! You should bring enough clothes for the week in plastic bags to keep them dry. Make sure you bring light-weight trousers rather than jeans – if it rains they will dry much faster :)

Bring plenty of warm clothes for at night [a thick pair of socks and thermal under-layers will keep you very warm through the nights!] – you should have lots of layers.

Waterproofs [just in case!]

Walking and Climbing Stuff

We are planning multiple walking trips for those who wish to join us [those who don't - we can drop you off in Ambleside or somewhere]. We will certainly be doing Scarfell Pike. Before coming you must have the right kit - if you don't, we can't take you! Don't feel like you have to spend a fortune on it though - ask if there's something you don't have.

Hiking Boots and walking socks - We are planning several walking trips - please don't bring trainers for this, you will need a good pair of boots - make sure you've broken them in [walk around in them for several days!] *before* the trip!!

Waterproofs - If it was anything like last year, you will need them! For walking I recommend a waterproof jacket and trousers/gaters [if you have them].

Water bottle 1-2ltr, [anything will do, you don't have to go out and buy a platypus!]

A warm hat [yes, I know we're going in July but it does get rather cold when you get higher up]. Silly hats are always good :P

Gloves [I doubt you'll need them - but just in case it gets cold]

A scarf [you'd be surprised just how cold your nose gets when you've been out walking for a while!]

Sugary snacks/energy foods - Kendal mint cake is always good to take walking!

Day-sack to carry it all in [25ltr should do] - If you need more than 25ltrs then you've over packed!

Trainers/climbing shoes - hopefully there will be a rock climbing trip, you will need flexible shoes for this, not hiking boots.

Cooking and Eating Stuff
Plastic/Metal plate or bowl
Cutlery
I'd also recommend getting some mess tins [you can cook in and eat out of them]
Non perishable foods - pasta, tinned foods, long life milk etc
Tea towel, washing up liquid and some wet wipes - for cleaning up afterwards!
Large water bottles [don't bother filling them before we get there!]

Camping Stuff
Sleeping Bag
Ground Mat [you'll be sleeping on the ground for a week, so make sure you have something comfortable]
Torch plus spare batteries for it
Ground sheet(s)/Tarpaulin(s) – If you have one, bring it, we'll need them for shelters
A camp chair/stool - something comfortable to sit on!
Toiletries and a towel - Stating the obvious I know, but there's always someone that forgets!

Finally, I recommend a decent sized rucksack to pack this all in – 60ltr minimum.

If you've not got anything on the list - there's a 10% student discount at Blacks/Millets ;)
Last edited by Smelly_Kat on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
whyiseverynicktaken

Post by whyiseverynicktaken »

helloes! I know i was supposed to have raised concoerns before now but.......... While I have no probs getting a week off (being a student and all) peter won't be able to. So it may turn out to be just me for a week and peter will join us for the last few days. And bearing in mind the whole travelling so far just for a weekend thing (for the employed) would it be possible for us to go somewhere a bit more accessible than the lake district? If you don't have a car it's kinda difficult to get there. Also would it be ok if my sis came with us? I dunno if she'll be in the EU then or backk home but if she's still around she would love to come. I think that's aboot it for now then.
Smelly_Kat

Post by Smelly_Kat »

whyis: I suggested the Lake District for 2 reasons, 1) We know the campsite we went to last year will take us and are likely to have lots of space, 2) We will be there for a whole week and there is a lot to do there - climbing, walking, visiting places etc etc

We were thinking of Derbyshire but we have to find a campsite that will take a group of us - very few places in the Lakes or Derbyshire actually do! I'll do some more research into it though!

Most trains on the West Coast main line go through the Lakes - you can get a train from Bath to Penrith with 1 change - the only reason it took so long last time was because we went through Darlington. If Pete could get to Penrith - or somewhere in that area I can pick him up from the station! If carrying everything up on the train is going to be a problem, we can take his camping stuff there for him.

Your sister is welcome to join us of course! However, we're going to be pushed for tents - do she have a tent or do you have tent space for her?

Hope this helps!
Kat
mich

mich is awesome

Post by mich »

Hello
/me waves
Im pretty up for doing some camping. Think ive probably gotta 3 man tent. It depends on jobs and stuff if i go, but in theory well up for it.
yoinkster

Re: Twofo Summer Camp Kit List

Post by yoinkster »

Smelly_Kat wrote: Rucksack to carry it all in [25ltr should do]

Finally, I recommend a decent sized rucksack to pack this all in – 60ltr minimum.
... nice (:
ur getting too helpful in ur old age :razz:
Smelly_Kat

Post by Smelly_Kat »

What do you mean old!? :P
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Why not keep this thread, just this one thread on the whole forum, on topic :wink:
Last edited by astropoint on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smelly_Kat

Post by Smelly_Kat »

OK on topic it is then, so astropoint - you're coming camping! Like it or not!

The Penguins can't protect you this time! :P
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

No
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Blood God wrote:
echelon wrote:we can call it the windows tent :)
It'd fall over all the time if you did that.
it was actually suppose to say li nux tent but BigG has "sensored" the forums to replace li n ux with windows and so I'm forced to add spaces in.. I'm afraid I forgot that time.. and yes it would fall over and leak etc if it was actually windows tent... kinda like the response that the ceo of General Motors gave Bill Gates about microsoft and the car industry.. classic.. truely classic.
astropoint wrote:No
very stubborn... if I come and make the effort and make time in my wide travelling super busy summer then u've gotta come as well... u can even join our lin ux tent :P

PS No official confirmation from me as of yet tho ;)
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

astropoint wrote:Why not keep this thread, just this one thread on the whole forum, on topic :wink:
On.......Topic.............

(And still No)
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Any more 'spam' 'nix posts from now on, I will delete.

That is, if the topic is not implicitly about that, it will be deleted.