Problem

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Chris1479

Problem

Post by Chris1479 »

Yeah I know this is slightly off topic before you start flaming me, but since I know you're all Pro n i'm feeling slightly humbled and worried I need a little help.

Basically I overclocked my 6600GT by a small amount and it was fine for hours, I go to restart my comp and I get blue-screened. That's happened before recently (despite it being a clean XP install) next thing I know a fan/all of the fans, I don't know which, speed up so fast I think it's gonna take flight. That's when I smelt smoke or *something* burning, while I whipped open my window and hard reset it (dumb I know, I should have pulled the plug instantly)

To cut a long story short, while my comp seems fine oddly enough, I played F.E.A.R for a while to see if it was ok and noticed a small amount of graphical 'flickering' in small areas occasionally. My card also seems to be running hotter under load now.

Any ideas on what I could do if i've really screwed my GPU? e.g put a better cooler on and hope for the best maybe?

Any help is appreciated!
Chris
Chris says:
so what wud ur ideal girl be like sonny?
The love for what you hide, The bitterness inside, Is growing like the new born.... says:
gimme 2 secs to get out of this dungeon
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

Firstly wrong section ;)....but hay,
it sounds like u have overclocked to much the gpu only has a small fan and it has too be kept cool burning is allways bad :P u may have comprimised the stability of ur gpu by practically melting it. There are things called pipelines inside the chips and some are dedicated for various things i.e. pixel shaders you may have dusrupted one of these.
try returning the gpu to whitin normal operating parameters (500mhz clock) and see if that works, usually gpus flicker when they are too hot

anyway hope it helps a bit and u get it sorted....
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Sounds like you overclocked a bit too much and the problem you are getting in FEAR seems to be the card artifacting prolly due to overheating.

See if you can find an aftermarket cooler for your card, they are usually much better than the stock HSF.
"Fear the day when the president sends an icq message to the loser saying 'eye fuxx0red j00!!'"
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

I would definetly try to go back to standard settings and see if the "flickering" is permanent.. if it is not u got lucky and u can overclock it again (just less).. otherwise if it persists.. well u're screwed!!
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

I have a 6600GT (Manifacturer - Point of View) aswell, ive managed to overclock mine from 900MHz/300MHz to 900MHz/500MHz which is a standard higher setting with no problem. ive even managed to overclock mine to 1.1GHz/600MHz and play F.E.A.R. without any problems, tho that game does something to my pc and creates an annoying amount of lag....

nonetheless, it must have been ur stockfan being too shit to handle the heat generated and the core just burnt a tinsy bit, like people have already said.

just get a bog standard ebuyer 80mm fan, screw in 2-3 inches long screws a bit and uve got urself a 2nd fan, properly cools it down. u can always get an exhaust fan too if uve got PCI cards in the way.

btw - 6600GT fucking r00lz
Satan Commands Me
Chris1479

Post by Chris1479 »

Thanks for all the advice :D I think i'll probably buy one of these babies http://www.casetech.co.uk/Arctic-Coolin ... 3.html#tab when I've got the cash anyway...my 6600GT runs at 500/1000 default clockspeed, it's an xfx one though. Btw my card heats up quickly now, and putting my hand near the stock fan it feels like it's not moving as much air as before. Might it be that the fan is damaged and it's now overheating easily?
Cheers
Chris says:
so what wud ur ideal girl be like sonny?
The love for what you hide, The bitterness inside, Is growing like the new born.... says:
gimme 2 secs to get out of this dungeon
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Yeah, an Arctic Cooler should make a lot of difference to cooling though http://overclock.co.uk/customer/product ... ctid=18458 :)

btw Zeus, 7800GTX r00lz0rz more :P
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

Zeus wrote:just get a bog standard ebuyer 80mm fan, screw in 2-3 inches long screws a bit and uve got urself a 2nd fan, properly cools it down. u can always get an exhaust fan too if uve got PCI cards in the way.
ya damn right ghetto mod that shit :D I cant really say anything but echo wats already been said, so just read it all :P And yes arctic coolers are very good & a million times better than stock coolers.. but I am going to make a cooler for my 6800gt out of an 80mm fan and some perspex :twisted:
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

hell yea for home-made cooling systems :D
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

i like ghetto-ising my PC. fuck all this "mod" shit u 1337 fucks use, last computer i had, i had to change PSU but unfortunatly it didnt fit properly in the Dell case (nothing ever does) so i simply made a small platform for it to hang outside of the case, with the case half open.

i also had this bridged 80mm fan under my old 9600SE overclocked from 320/180 --> 450/215 and had to have a 2nd 80mm gluetacked to the bottom of the case as exhaust. now *thts* getho if u ask me.

right now i just have an 80mm fan gluetacked to the bottom of the case pointed directly at my northbridge, you would be fucking surprised to see how effecient that is, cooled mine from 42 avg down to 30avg with temps seen at 24.... thts how good gethoising is :)

EDIT - 15/01/06
getto-ise baby, getto-ise.... i have a few spare fans so i might getto-ise my pc further this evening and try to cool the cpu further somehow, gona need to do extensive cable cleaning too
Last edited by Zeus on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satan Commands Me
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

nice, my chipset overheats like fuck, just look round the net for pics of the DFI Ultra-D with a 6800 in it... I'm gonna start my ghetto mod 2moro :)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

now that sounds like a good ghettodisation of ur comp..

ohh and I blew a couple of my PSU's last term.. so I bought a pack of 4-5 to have some stock :D
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Pfff... if you've not taken a hacksaw to your case you can't claim that you have haxed it ;)

1xhacksaw, 1xpower drill, 1xhammer into the production of BigG :P
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

right well I havent haxed mine..

I dont usually use too much violence on my comp.. I treat it nicely :P
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

blah blah yes uve all got better cards then me :P hope u clox them so much they burn :twisted: