What's the current situation regarding ITS and ResNet, etc?

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

Heh, a prefresher, that's a new one on me :P
we must be famous :D
how did you find out about us?
did you ask google for like "filesharing at warwick university" :P
Tartarus

Post by Tartarus »

That's the basic gist of it, yes :P

More after reading the somewhat draconian "Fair Use Policy" (fair use my arse) i figured it might be a good plan to do some googling :)

Basically to see what protocols you can use to get round them.. rapidshare looks promising (provided that's not blocked either). Do they block UseNet as well?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

If it's over http then it's fine, so both Rapidshare (and similar) and Usenet ought to be good. Not really a case of getting around anything using these as they just aren't blocked. Also, by good I mean as much as you are likely to get on Resnet which is 1MBit offpeak, no getting around that.
Tartarus

Post by Tartarus »

You've got to be kidding me, right?

1Mbit for a university is pisspoor to be quite honest :( Although presumably that's because of contention and whatnot?
A connection to the Internet similar to a domestic broadband service. The speed of the connection is up to 1024/256 Kbps (Download/Upload) shared with other customers at a contention ratio of 50:1.
I guess it's to stop piracy, but that's still incredibly bad. Although if they made it any faster, you'd use up your monthly allowance in a day :P Interesting actually.. so we only really get 12.5GB to use whilst we're there.. bummer!

Haha these days it might be more worthwhile paying for mobile broadband! All the speed, none of the AUPs
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Yes it is poor, but it is always possible they will increase it this year. As for the download limit I don't think they are bothering the 5GiB a month or whatever it is. AS long as you don't go utterly crazy with the bandwidth usage I can't see them minding too much.
I know for a fact that people went well over that this year and nothing happened, and even the year before when they were going after p2p stuff.
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

I actually spoke to the director of ITS and I mentioned several times that the resources allocated to resnet was extremely low.

I was told that they would look into it and these changes are usually done in the summer. I have no idea if they will actually increase the limits for it is ITS after all. I hope that my pestering and pastescreens of bandwidth tests will help somewhat.

They have tried to make it like normal broadband and have an upto 1mbit connection which I only managed to get between 2am and 12noonish.
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

I have had some correspondence that ITS are working to providing better DHCP and DNS services and allocate more bandwidth to resnet.

DNS service has been better this academic year I must admit and hopefully even more reliable next year. Also hope there is a decent bandwidth allowance next year.

fingers crossed
Tartarus

Post by Tartarus »

Quite funny that they claim it's "high-speed" broadband when 1Mbit is considered dial-up by most of the country, let alone Uni standards :D
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

Hehe, yes but then its ITS so expected. Anyway I hope its more next year, like I've been told. We'll find out soon enough anyway. Fingers crossed
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

haha ITS are still the same... a lot of talk and very little action. At least they're actually providing some internet now a days :P
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

More annoying is the amount included in the rent for the connectivity. It does not even compare to the worst commercial provider. or so i think
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Rampage wrote:More annoying is the amount included in the rent for the connectivity. It does not even compare to the worst commercial provider. or so i think
yeah but that goes even for corporate providers.. I currently bypass my corporate "preferred supplier" and use another provider instead that is cheaper and better.. the key is that I have the option to choose.. ITS has a monopoly. People should get the option to not pay for the connectivity and then ppl could either not have it (use library etc) or get a mobile connection. Probably won't happen tho.
Tartarus

Re: What's the current situation regarding ITS and ResNet, etc?

Post by Tartarus »

Heh, long time no see, are they being relaxed about it this year?

Figured i may as well join the fun now i've been here for a while :P
astropoint

Re: What's the current situation regarding ITS and ResNet, etc?

Post by astropoint »

Nobody has been cut off this year as far as we know. Make of that what you will :P