System Specs

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

lol

one opteron beats any regular amd64 any day :) unless its an expensive one :roll:
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

BigG wrote:Pffff *one* Opteron, you need at least four ;)
u've got 4??? or is that just wishful thinking??
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

lol !
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

haha. i dont think four is possible. two is with expensive server specific mobos...
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

CruzerMX wrote:haha. i dont think four is possible. two is with expensive server specific mobos...
I'm sure someone has figured out how to get 4 working.. someone with too much money and too much time!! :P
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

im sure panmaster could do it ;)
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

echelon wrote:
CruzerMX wrote:haha. i dont think four is possible. two is with expensive server specific mobos...
I'm sure someone has figured out how to get 4 working.. someone with too much money and too much time!! :P
You can get two Opterons on one card, which slots into a 4-slot server case (about 3U - a HP model). Thus, at least for a machine we have at work, you can have up to 8 Opterons. It's rather nice.

Cocodude
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

ahh nice 8... thats gotta be gratifying :D

panmaster are u getting that for x-mas???? :P
PanMaster
twofo fucksmudge

Post by PanMaster »

Just to clarify, cruzerMX is referring the socket 939 opterons not 940 which have been clocking extremely well unsurprisingly because they have the same stepping as the FX-57 which costs 5 times as much. Unfortunately AMD is withdrawing them from consumer sale to system builders only as Athlon64 sales have suffered.
As for getting multi-CPU systems, it is pointless, as only a few games officially support two cores such as F.E.A.R, although there seems to be no performance difference. An 8-way opteron system or any socket 940 system has many drawbacks such as Windows only supporting 2 cores and the required use of expensive, slow registered RAM. I don't recommend upgading to dual-core until socket M2 is available.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

PanMaster wrote:Just to clarify, cruzerMX is referring the socket 939 opterons not 940 which have been clocking extremely well unsurprisingly because they have the same stepping as the FX-57 which costs 5 times as much. Unfortunately AMD is withdrawing them from consumer sale to system builders only as Athlon64 sales have suffered.
As for getting multi-CPU systems, it is pointless, as only a few games officially support two cores such as F.E.A.R, although there seems to be no performance difference. An 8-way opteron system or any socket 940 system has many drawbacks such as Windows only supporting 2 cores and the required use of expensive, slow registered RAM. I don't recommend upgading to dual-core until socket M2 is available.
once again panmaster u're a duche!! multi-cores for GAMING!!! wat the hell r u thinking... of course that would be a waste.. but there is far more to computers than gaming... and also windows can max use 2 cores.. yes, but no-one ever talked bout using windows.. its kinda obvious that these would be linux servers!!! linux knows how to properly use power :D
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

a) Since when did we say we would be playing games on it and
b) Since when did we say we were going to install winblows on it...?
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Fucksmudge wrote:I don't recommend upgading to dual-core until socket M2 is available.
If you don't recommend it, then why do you have the X2 logo as your avatar? I think you should read the posts by echelon and BigG and understand that, thank heavens, you are not representive of every computer user in the world.

Cocodude
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Just thought that I'd post this http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27991 link... note especially the bit about the processors and the OS that they are using :P
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

hehe nice..

Actually I remember reading that currently linux has by far the majority share of new servers being built today. It has completely conquered the server market and a lot of other servers (like Microsoft Server 2003 etc) are being slowly replaced by linux servers. The home-user and desktop/laptop environment conquest is going far slower. The main reason for this obviously is that most administrators know how to use linux and have it themselves so of course they also make sure the build linux systems for organisations they work for.
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

and the fact that all software written for windows would have to be written for linux to break compatability barriers so that people actually had a choice instead of being forced to use windoze.