A nice little rant about QoS

Any other computer related talk.

Moderator: Operators

NakedDaro

A nice little rant about QoS

Post by NakedDaro »

Arrgh! Everythings going fine, I'm using DC++, putting on my torrents at night, the internet not suffering one bit. But then today, the internet is slightly slower than usual. As soon as the self appointed ITS of the house appear - QoS - straight away. No questions, just 'The internet's being slow, I'm putting QoS on'. So, that means no DC++, i.e. another 20kbps to d/ls and 15kbps to u/ls; whoopee!

But, then what happens 10 minutes later - the internet becomes worse than dial up - i tried loading the stats page and it took me 3 minutes to get the little graphs loaded up. He's even refusing to switch QoS off after that load of shit and even at night when I'm the only one awake.

So, I was wondering, does anyone know how to set up QoS in a way that will not completely rape me. He's withholding the password for the router, so I can't tell you what the current settings are apart from that its set to bulk, and switching it to normal doesn't seem to do anything. Its the LinkSys QoS system btw.

I'm already missing twofo, and hope to get back to you all soon.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Surely it's affecting everybody's internet as bad as yours though....
BigG
Forum Spammer

Re: A nice little rant about QoS

Post by BigG »

NakedDaro wrote:He's withholding the password for the router
Go go hard reset!

It can't be that bad for everyone so I can only assume that he's just throttling yours :\
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Loses the login details for hte actual broadband if he does that though :wink:
NakedDaro

Post by NakedDaro »

Yeah - have done hard reset before - just means even more anger is directed toward me (since I am the sole reason that the internet is slow when it is slow, can't be ntl). So have decided not to go with that, even though i have all the login details for the isp. I was more hoping that someone who has QoS working for them in a sensible manner (Smelly_Kat possibly) would be give me a few tips on how to set it up properly. And the slow internet last night was fixed with a modem reset, *not* by switching QoS on. When I suggested resetting the modem, I was met with cries of 'NO!', until they realised that the net wasnt working at all by the point that they used it, and then came upstairs to have a go at me for fucking with the internet. I then told them that it wasn't working because I hadn't reset the modem - which seemed to be beyond them 'Surely resetting the modem will switch off QoS (I wish)' etc etc. Fucktards. And guess, what - resetting the modem fixed it!

Rant rant rant :evil:
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

The QoS Kat, and now I, have is based solely upon a linux install. No such thing as "bulk" or whatever the setting you have.
Yours is based within a router so I would expect it to be vastly different (and in all honesty, probably vastly crapper). Even so, when it's switched on, it should only be murdering your p2p stuff, and certainly not the http bandwidth (internet browsing)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

astropoint wrote:The QoS Kat, and now I, have is based solely upon a linux install. No such thing as "bulk" or whatever the setting you have.
Yours is based within a router so I would expect it to be vastly different (and in all honesty, probably vastly crapper). Even so, when it's switched on, it should only be murdering your p2p stuff, and certainly not the http bandwidth (internet browsing)
in fact since LinkSys is actually running linux u could just totally hax the router. You could even hax it so that it would constantly look like QoS was on, but never actually was.. You can do lots of fun stuff, but not sure how happy ur retarded ITS friend will be.

Also have u tried asking for your money back? I would tell them that QoS setup from a retard was not worth paying for and I want my money back. Or shutoff QoS or let me set it up.. If all else fails punch and knock the ITS guy out...