Film Night

Any other social life talk.

Moderator: Operators

mooo

Post by mooo »

I'm free any time I think.

Oh and League of Gentlemen is nothing like Little Britian imo. Completely different style of humour. Little Britain may have tried to steal ideas, but it's really not the same
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

problem is though that little britain isnt humour its just ....... shit
so if its even tried to borrow ideas from LoG then i cant see it being any good either :/
mooo

Post by mooo »

Yeah I agree Little Britain is shite. But as I said it's a completely different style of humour. I can't actually see any similarity between the two at all tbh. If Little Britain has tried to copy stuff from League of Gentlemen then they have completely fucked it up.
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

mooo: Interesting. I do think there are definitely similarities between the humour of both programmes.

Quotes from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n15816657 that I agree with:
On television, The League of Gentlemen and Little Britain have many things in common: both offer microcosmic glimpses of our slightly septic isle with a small number of actors playing multiple roles; both have a tendency towards grotesque caricatures and recognisable stereotypes; and both feature grown men doing an awful lot of prancing around in women's clothing.

It's fair to say " in fact, they say it frequently themselves " that Little Britain would not exist were it not for The League of Gentlemen. But where the latter show was dark, demanding and deliciously twisted, Matt Lucas and David Walliams expunged an obsession with British horror and added a slapstick, Dick Emery element. The pair put saucy in the place of scary and created a national treasure in the process.

So while comedy snobs might resent Lucas and Walliams their enormous, cross-generational success, it's easy to see why the nation has taken Vicky Pollard (a pink-shellsuited Asbo on legs " catchphrase: 'Yeh but, no but, yeh but, no') closer to its heart than Tubbs and Edward (a brother/sister, husband/wife pair of psychotic murderers " catchphrase: 'Are you local?'). But it's not simply a case of comedy for the chavs and chav-nots " to use a musical analogy, Little Britain is Coldplay to The League of Gentlemen's Radiohead.
I don't think they copied stuff, but were influenced by The League Of Gentlemen.

Anyway, regarding the film night, I can't do Friday or Saturday.
http://www.gigatux.com - Value Linux Virtual/Shared Hosting
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

OK shall I pick a day and see who complains? Tuesday :P
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

that was two days ago (;
mooo

Post by mooo »

Sorry, I was wrong about being free any time, Tuesday is pub quiz night, so that'll probably be a no from me and NakedDaro.

cocodude: I can see the similarities in themes, but not the humour. Little Britain has none of the dark humour that League of Gentlemen has, which is what I like.
I suspect we may have to agree to disagree on this one
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

yoinkster: Well duh, one happens every week.....

OK, how about the Wednesday (17th for yoink's benefit)
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

mooo wrote:cocodude: I can see the similarities in themes, but not the humour. Little Britain has none of the dark humour that League of Gentlemen has, which is what I like.
I suspect we may have to agree to disagree on this one
I disagree with agreeing to disagree! I agree with what you say - League of Gentlemen is proper dark humour and Little Britain isn't, but it's the themes that are quite similar in places.
http://www.gigatux.com - Value Linux Virtual/Shared Hosting
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Is this the point to say I don't really want to watch the Leaggue of Gentlemen then? :P
itsmonktastic

Post by itsmonktastic »

I would vote Fear and Loathing but it seems like too much of another film where you actually have to pay attention.

So it has to be Back To The Future!

I'm home by 9pm on Wednesday in theory.

MONK
ZeeC

Post by ZeeC »

Can we bring this back now the new term is about to start?

I miss movie night
The other penguins made me do it
k28

Post by k28 »

ZeeC wrote:Can we bring this back now the new term is about to start?

I miss movie night

i vote yes.
ZeeC

Post by ZeeC »

To give everyone a chance to move in I propose next wednesday (8th October). A film to be chosen by someone on campus.

Can someone translate that into Warwick Weeks pls?
The other penguins made me do it
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Week 2