Possible Alternitives to DC (FTP discussion)

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

glad to hear it cocodude.. yet I think now is not the right time.. still too early on.. maybe in a week or so when the project has advanced more.. and needs more testers :D
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

dld some more files from bigjim today. this time i got consistent speeds of 4-5mb/s ....which was nice :)

also, while it's still caning the cpu, it seems to be letting me do other things at the same time now, as opposed to freezing up the system as it did last time.
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

quick suggestion:

could we add something to allow us to dl a complete directory? atm trying to dl a directory just dls an empty file with the same name, fairly useless. it would make it a lot easier to grab a whole world of files at once, rather than having to click them all individually one at a time
lost&found

Post by lost&found »

this still isnt going anywhere for me

when you connect, does it say each time "error adding server to master list"

maybe ive just been unlucky and keep going on when no-one else is?
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

I've found that I get that error when I'm not sharing 5gig + Also, to share new files, i have to add the file, click apply, then restart the server for it to refresh. it should then say how much is being shared and allow u to connect without any problems.

did u register to receive a pword and username? make sure both of those are entered into the settings in the server *and* the gui.

other than that i occasioanlly, as in once, maybe twice, have still received that error when connecting, but a simple restart allowed me to connect again.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

a suggestion might be to add more useful error messages.. lets not have cryptic windows type error messages.. lets go more with the linux way of things :P
bigjim16

update

Post by bigjim16 »

Download the updated client and server at http://bigjim.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/gui3.rar it features new, more descriptive error messages when you can't connect to the master server and you can add whole directory structures to the download list(although it doesn't auto download yet)
bigjim16

Problems

Post by bigjim16 »

I think I managed to break the server side code so no one could actually login...It should be fixed now, so if you couldn't get it to work please try again! Also check out the link on the twofo front page for the new updated client
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

Firstly FUCKING WICKED!! good job onyl prob is i cant get it to work everytime i press start downloading the GUI issues an error and closes its self down.... ne help :P cheeers. =)

EDIT: ok will do one song ok but if i queue more then one song it will crash....
bigjim16

Check this

Post by bigjim16 »

Excellent, glad you like it! You need to select an item in the download list for start download to work. Also I have just fixed a bug which may have caused it to crash then, redownload the file from the link on the frontpage! Working version number should say version 5.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Whenever I try to open the prgram, my computer completely freezes and I have to force reset it :( . The one time I was able to open it and add in some share, it froze immediatly when I tried to actually start the program running.
This might of course be my laptop being it's usual helpful self, but I thought you ought to know
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

yer slected the song etc and it crashed i will dl the new client when im back laters and try it out :) will it only download the one song that i select meaning i have to individually select the songs in the DL queue to start them or once started will it do the whole queue ?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

seems this needs to be looked into

I will demand from cocodude to remove the link from the twofo homepage.. This is still at alpha stage.. we cant be responsible for the comps on campus crashing.. lets wait till we get to the BETA stage

I have just handed in some more coursework and will soon be done with applications and interviews so I will start doing some major testing on some BETA test machines of mine.. this type of testing will be crashing type testing... ie can I force the program to crash :P
bigjim16

erm

Post by bigjim16 »

Thankyou for the offer.That sort of testing would be very useful, but I asked him to put that link up there and tbh I don't think u have any right to demand anything. Quite a number of people have been using the program with varying degrees of success since I first posted about it.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Bigjim I dont mean to offend u.. but I believe its important to realize that a lot of the ppl using the twofo main page dont have the knowledge required to handle an alpha or beta program. If we want this program to have success we dont wanna start it off by having half the computers on campus crash as a result of people trying it. They just wont wanna try it again.

Also ITS will probably be more than happy to point fingers if the program starts being responsible for crashing a fair amount of computers on campus or in some way starts creating problems on the network that we could not forsee. Now I'm very happy to support this development and I think its a great idea and you have done a lot of great work on it.. Exactly for that reason I think the launch should be thought through thoroughly and done well.. Testing and launching are critical stages and its dangerous to mix the two.

The reason for me "demanding" that cocodude remove the link is for the greater good of the twofo community as I believe a release of an alpha stage client has the potential to seriously damage the credibility of the community. I mean no offense to u by it and my demands are always discussions anyway. Cocodude and I talk the things through and it is not to be understood that I force things through at gunpoint rather that I argue my case.

I will continue to support it and I know from private talks with Cocodude that he also does. I personally wish to see a successful launch of this client and would hate to see it spoiled by releasing the client to the public at a too early stage.
Last edited by echelon on Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.