Possible Alternitives to DC (FTP discussion)

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

hmmm true.. ok we need more noob oriented softare/clients!!
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Yeah, WASTE is pretty difficult to get working if you are a n00b. Also as you say, it's not as effective for larger networks
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

so no more WASTE... we continue development on the FTP client then..

back to work we go :D
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

--------->I've just uploaded a new version to the same place as before with much improved downloading(it doesn't download the entire file into your pc's ram and crash Embarassed and it has a % complete thing). Also the crash when you don't select a server's fixed and searching's re-enabled(don't quite know why I disabled it to start with but hey)
------------------------

I clicked the old link again and redownloaded the file that was there. I saw that a couple of ppl were on this time. I started downloading a file off someone to test it out. After a while, my whole system crashed and reset (something which has *never* happened to my computer before). It took a while before i remembered reading this post =P

there was no % complete either, so i'm guessing i'm still using the old version.

I just clicked the original link that you posted a few days ago and downloaded what was there again - why don't I have the updated version??
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

hmm may not have updated on the server properly.. would it be an idea to include version numbers maybe?? this would allow ppl to realize which version they had and which was being discussed!!
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Code: Select all

[ejs@localhost tmp]$$ ll
total 4236
-rw-rw-r--  1 ejs ejs 1474560 Dec 10 22:35 FTPServer.exe
-rw-rw-r--  1 ejs ejs 1867776 Jan 13 23:45 gui.exe
-rw-rw-r--  1 ejs ejs  979129 Jan 13 23:47 gui.rar
Files on the server seem up to date, maybe you got the old version from your browser's cache somehow.

Yes, version numbers are a good idea.
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

okay - it seems i do have the latest version (modified 13 Jan, 1867776b)... it simply doesn't have the fixes it's supposed to have. i *can* search, but i don't see a % complete newhere. i daren't let a file dl for too long nemore coz i'd rather not have the system crash again =p but i'm guessing it would simply crash if i were to leave it.
bigjim16

Hi

Post by bigjim16 »

Yeah, my lack of version numbers was kinda stupid so now I have added that and uploaded http://bigjim.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/gui2.rar complete with new features include multithreaded downloading(you can download in the background).

Big thanks to all the ppl that have helped me by using my program!
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

well it's no DC, but i can confirm that the new version *does* work. i succesfully dld a 200meg file from bigjim in roughly 5 min without any crashing and it had a % done n everything.

there are 2 problems with it still, one which is minor and i'm not sure we could correct neway.

first, the gui uses 99% of my athlon 3200+ while dling, making it impossible to do nething else. dling a bigger file, 1gig+ would then leave the computer unusable for a significant period of time

second, speeds are slow and irratic. rarely go above 1mb/s and occsasionally stops completely (as if to pause for breath). i'm guessin that's in the nature of on campus ftp and can't be altered. it's not a major issue, the file gets there in the end

now the biggest thing this really needs is to have a few more ppl active on it, especially the old DC elite, the ones who were always able to get files from off campus sources (u know who u are ;) ) once it gets going i'll share my media drives again.
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

quick update - there was a guy on at around 13:30 called 'boller' - no idea why but i got the error msg unable to connect when trying to get his files.

there was no1 else on so i couldn't double check that it was a problem with this one server, though i was able to pull up my own filelist.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Ok seems like we're making progress.. I'm gonna be starting to scan the code and looking for ways to improve, as soon as I have finished this report I am working on..

Also I do believe the "DC Elite" that are currently on campus will join the wagon once the project is launched.. currently they need not join as the project is still in the beta stage.. Its important to still keep the program with few users so that only a limited number users are on.. This makes debugging easier as the ppl that use it will be dedicated to posting here with information.. If it starts spreading to noob users already.. well then problems will start occuring too fast and well too many computers might start to crash..

We want this to still stay within a small group of testers and then when ready to launch expand it.. :D
Bittervirus

Post by Bittervirus »

Sentance wrote:quick update - there was a guy on at around 13:30 called 'boller' - no idea why but i got the error msg unable to connect when trying to get his files.

there was no1 else on so i couldn't double check that it was a problem with this one server, though i was able to pull up my own filelist.
Don't worry, the same thing happened to me. I can download off anyone else though, so it's just boller's server that I couldn't connect to
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

could it maybe be that boller is using an older version???

Also it might be an idea to add in a version number in the server lists as well.. that way incompatibilities with older servers will be obvious.. and users can easily see wat version everyone is using
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

If any of you decide you want an announcement on the front page regarding this, whether to interest more testers or developers, let me know. If you could write a small paragraph and PM me the details, I'll happily put it up no problems. A logo would be nice too :-)

Cocodude
bigjim16

Boller

Post by bigjim16 »

The reason boller was stuck on the server list is because his client crashed and currently the server doesn't refresh very well as the server side code's very primitive - I have just manually removed him.