Possible Alternitives to DC (FTP discussion)

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Sentance

Post by Sentance »

having some difficulty getting this running....

i ran the server, then the gui. entered my user name and password into the setup on both and added a folder with over 7 gig.

in the gui, 'get server list' did nothing and 'get server's file list' crashed the program (presumably because no server was selected).

in the server, it said i was sharing 0mb still. i clicked run, and got the msg 'error adding server to master list'. the server log then sed 'started on port 21' obviously there were no online users.

can ne1 tell me if there's nething immediately obvious that i'm doing wrong, or not doing at all. then could sum1 plz explain, step-by-step (since just 'having a go' doesn't seem to have worked for me) how to connect.

thx!!
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

seems the project is looking promising.. looking forward to looking through the code and helping potentially improve it..

would be nice to see it running on campus this term already :D
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

hey, i don't know what the problem was but it seems to have fixed itself. now showing the right amount of shares, connecting properly, i can get the server list as well as their file list.

the only problem now is, i'm the only one connected =P
bigjim16

new version

Post by bigjim16 »

Hi,

I've just uploaded a new version to the same place as before with much improved downloading(it doesn't download the entire file into your pc's ram and crash :oops: and it has a % complete thing). Also the crash when you don't select a server's fixed and searching's re-enabled(don't quite know why I disabled it to start with but hey)

Glad a couple of ppl are using it anyway!

Cheers
lost&found

Post by lost&found »

Hmm, are we meant to be on port 21? I have the same problem when it crashes when trying to get server file list

I have exactly the same problems as sentence except it does say im sharing 32gb

:s

U didnt do anything different sentence, it just started working for u?
bigjim16

heya

Post by bigjim16 »

Just to clarify, 'get server list' get's a list of who's online(which happens automatically when you start the program) and once you've clicked on someone on the list, click 'get server's file list' to see their shared files(in the original version I uploaded, it would crash if you did that with nothing selected).

Leave it set to port 21 as well, I intend to do some cunning random port allocation to make it harder to block but currently, everyone's on 21.

Cheers
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

dont think ITS will dare block port 21..

they will not be able to argue the case of blocking FTP transfers.. this is used by most ppl to access off-site server and is the most common protocol for ppl to upload to webservers etc.. I would be very surprised if they blocked it.. would seriously create a scandal
bigjim16

doh

Post by bigjim16 »

just realised a stupid mistake that stopped anyone downloading anything from the file list view...it's been fixed and uploaded the previous link..
lost&found

Post by lost&found »

dont know if its just that there is never anyone online, but havent gotten anywhere with this yet, never seen any users online, or been able to download anything, obviously
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Right maybe an allocated testing time should be chosen.. This way anyone wishing to join in a testing session could login during that time.. that should make it obvious whether its working or not.. and obviously probably a good idea to start with small testing sessions and then make them bigger as we go..

No need to try to test half the campus users on this right away.. so plz ppl dont start tellin ppl bout this and to download the software.. its still in the BETA stage and should not be given out to end-users.. they'll simply start screwing their systems up and who knows wat will happen :?
Bittervirus

Post by Bittervirus »

I managed to get it working
Took me a while though

EDIT: I have noticed that the last file in any folder gets the error message "file does not exist". Anyone else getting that problem?
Last edited by Bittervirus on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

How secure is this anyway? Anyone looked at WASTE? I heard that was a pretty damn good program ???
lost&found

Post by lost&found »

what did you have to do in order to get it working Bittervirus?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

sounds good.. I have been coding php most of the weekend (as well as doin other coursework related things)

havent had time to play with the code yet.. but I will try to test its security soon as well.. but I will also check out WASTE.. we can then compare
pjharvey

Post by pjharvey »

Waste is a waste (sic) of time for larger networks;
and how many people do you know that understand the concept of public and private keys?!