Possible Alternitives to DC (FTP discussion)

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

bigjim16

Does anyone want to help me test this?

Post by bigjim16 »

Hi,

I've finsished writing a special ftp-based client+server and some dodgy server side stuff to keep a list of who's online. There's currently no support for queing or downloading multiple files, but the following features are supported:
  • Searching
    Viewing file lists
    Downloading
    Checks you're sharing more than 5gb before letting you do anything
Well, if there's anyone on campus who wants to help me test(I have no idea how well it's going to work with more than a couple of users), PM me and I'll register your username and send u the client!

Cheers
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

sounds cool :D would u paste any of the code so we could have a look and suggest improvements etc ?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

or pm me where I can download ur sourcecode / binary files from.. I'll test them on some networks in scandinavia during the vacation
Chris1479

Try this port?

Post by Chris1479 »

Or you could try using port 443, companies usually leave that one without a traffic shaper on it. It worked when I used BT last.

Chris
Chris says:
so what wud ur ideal girl be like sonny?
The love for what you hide, The bitterness inside, Is growing like the new born.... says:
gimme 2 secs to get out of this dungeon
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

but when ITS realise 200+ connections to a single port i think they will catch on ;)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yup definetly we'll need to use more than one port.. otherwise it'll be too easy to find/stop
Sentance

Post by Sentance »

any progress made with this?
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

=/ dont think so
bigjim16

wanna try this

Post by bigjim16 »

Hi,

I've got a very very testy version of the forementioned to try...goto http://bigjim.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/ to register a username and to http://bigjim.warwickcompsoc.co.uk/gui.rar to download client+server.

A few things....it's single threaded so while it's downloading it appears frozen(this will be fixed), you need to share at least 5gig and be running the server program at the same time as the client, I imagine searching'll be very slow and you need to enter username and password in both programs.

Well...have fun!
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

not bad.. I will help with this project more when I get more time from my exams/coursework
bigjim16

sorry

Post by bigjim16 »

hi, I made a really stupid mistake with the server side stuff....anyone who registered'll need to re-register...p.s. it's on campus only

Cheers
pjharvey

Post by pjharvey »

1. What's the project written in?
2. Isn't it a bit of an unneccesary overhead to have the whole FTP protocol. Why not just write a simple new protocol?
3. I'm willing to make it multi-threaded, and sort out bugs.
bigjim16

Post by bigjim16 »

1)The project's written in C++, the server using mfc(cos it's the only suitable open source ftp server I could find) and the client with wxwindows(so aside from some slightly dodgy windows api http stuff it could be cross platform)
2)Well, most of the ftp protocol e.g. everything related to uploading's not supported by the server or client and searching's been added, so technically it IS a new protocol....
3)Once I get the serverside stuff complete(it's going to feature random allocation of ports to piss of ITS :) etc), I'll release the source for the client/server so anyone's free to improve it...
pjharvey

Post by pjharvey »

1) WxWidgets; excellent, a man after my own heart. I think all Open Source projects can by written in wx or wxPython ;) The best toolkit there is.
2) Ah; I was just thinking about CPU overhead; but I guess leanness is not the order of the day, considering the computers most kids on campus run.
3) Excellent, get an SF project; never know it might go somewhere ;)
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

wow well im sure its allll good stuff :) just a bit too leet for me this time of morning ;)