Possible Alternitives to DC (FTP discussion)

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Possible Alternitives to DC (FTP discussion)

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

well there have been a fair few alternatives to DC being thrown about so i thought i would make a post so people could air their views etc and share their knowledge. The most popular idea idea is FTP so if anyone has any ideas comments or suggestions im sure we would all like to hear them, (unless your panmaster) :wink: thanks

mebe this mite help some people setting up an FTP server @ home and then downloading the files from there ... i dunno im pritty knew to FTP

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? ... 491&page=1

CrAzY
meh

Post by meh »

That would be a stupid idea because you'd be limited to the max upload of your home connection, which for most people is 30k.
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

It's not a stupid idea, as it's about how to get stuff onto campus within the AUP you complete and utter moron.
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

I was just thinking the same thing, if I upgraded my comp back home I could easily run an ftp server, however I could just as well install an administrative tool that allows me to control my comp. from uni, that would be ideal. Whenever the new family guy came out I would have it on my home comp in more or less 2-3 hours after release, here its not even certain I will get it the day after release cuz ITS is being a gang of cunting minx.
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

exactly thats what i was thinking ! =) /me full of good ideas :wink:
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

haha u guys all have 30 KB/s uploads?? (ie 256Kb as told by the ISPs for the ppl that fall for the speed trick by the ISPs)...

Back at home I have one connection with at 1Mb/s and then I have a couple of 512 Kb/s connection as well.. ie 120 KB/s upload for the former and 60 KB/s for the latter..

But yes this would be a good option to bring stuff onto campus.. but an internal FTP network on campus would be the main concern... If the external FTP connections get too excessive then ITS will simply be pissed off with that as well.. but an internal FTP network should be fine and I dont reckon they'll feel obliged to attack it as anti-piracy organisations would have no knowledge of the network.. hence they could go screw themselves and ITS would have no legal obligation!!

If anyone read my previous post on the topic - I kno that an online site can be created that monitors FTP servers and it has been used for established elite FTP networks.. I wish I had the sourcecode for the site, but I dont have that on me.. I can try to hunt it down, but the site when down and disappeared when the Network disbanded and split into smaller networks.. Hmm no more history lessons.. Pretty much trying to say I kno we have enough talent to recode something like it.. Just need some volunteers with lots of time ;)
wingman

wingman

Post by wingman »

The trouble with the FTP system is that its "as-is" per computer.
Tsenister

Post by Tsenister »

echelon wrote:
But yes this would be a good option to bring stuff onto campus.. but an internal FTP network on campus would be the main concern... If the external FTP connections get too excessive then ITS will simply be pissed off with that as well.. but an internal FTP network should be fine and I dont reckon they'll feel obliged to attack it as anti-piracy organisations would have no knowledge of the network.. hence they could go screw themselves and ITS would have no legal obligation!!

If anyone read my previous post on the topic - I kno that an online site can be created that monitors FTP servers and it has been used for established elite FTP networks.. I wish I had the sourcecode for the site, but I dont have that on me.. I can try to hunt it down, but the site when down and disappeared when the Network disbanded and split into smaller networks.. Hmm no more history lessons.. Pretty much trying to say I kno we have enough talent to recode something like it.. Just need some volunteers with lots of time ;)
sounds like a good plan :). Im sure ITS will read this but they really cant do much can they...
God

Post by God »

echelon wrote:haha u guys all have 30 KB/s uploads?? (ie 256Kb as told by the ISPs for the ppl that fall for the speed trick by the ISPs)...

Back at home I have one connection with at 1Mb/s and then I have a couple of 512 Kb/s connection as well.. ie 120 KB/s upload for the former and 60 KB/s for the latter..

I'm glad you guys are thinking along these lines. ITS wouldn't have a problem with it as far as I can see.

As I said in my other thread...get some CS guys to do it. It isnt too difficult :)

edit: Nice to see that you guys are listening to some of my advice and considering staying within the AUP. I'm sure it would help out ITS to provide a better connection and better relations too :) As I said before...the AUP has evolved...evolve with it!
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

As DC++ isn't what's causing the problem [despite them saying it is] there won't be any improvement.
There will only be an improvement if they start lynching people for using BT
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

BigG, regular people cannot use BT, and even if they can they are in small numbers with even smaller numbers on their dl/ul chart since the traffic has to go through third party entities. Either way, those desparate to use BT only do so, or will do so as a response to DC++ being banned, making havok on a cataclysmic scale inevitable.

The most outrageous thing though is that ITS doesnt see it fit or mandatory to provide concrete and hard-hitting evidence for alleged violations. This very much resembles a dictatorship where the secret police stands to question to anyone by its own internal mechanisms. With the host of 128-bit encoded proxies that will sooner or later delegate "unlawful" traffic, ITS will have no way of providing such evidence anyways, making it even more unlikely that major copyright violations, to which I am vehemently opposed, will get discovered, let alone tracked.

So yes, ITS, why shoot yourself in the foot if there is a long way to go until a consesus is reached ? Why make every change on such short notice, so haphazard and so recklessly without a period of respite ?
I bet even the Peoples Republic of China has better and more democratic methods of controlling their flux of data.

Then again, how does one know justice if one is accountable but to oneself?
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

actually regular people can, and do use BT, its a simple procedure you use a HTTP tunneling software to make the traffic look like normal packets sent via the internet to load web pages. I know a few people who do this and have told them they are leeching the network but their attitude is: well me stopping wont make much difference. They just dont realise!
There is various articles on the internet on how to use this any idiot with google and some skills can do this. basically TCP connections can be made using HTTP protocol via a proxy server thus its hard to trace again this is another problem.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Yes this is why ITS cannot fight the BT users by the current means.. As long as they dont have any on-campus hub (or other equivalent facility) they will continue to use BT by other means (port tunneling, etc)... I hope ITS will realize that many/most on two actually would be happy to rid campus off BT and I believe an on-campus DC++ hub or FTP network (or any equivalent) could be a way towards a common goal: "A stable, well running network that allows users to access websites reliably". An on-campus hub/network would redirect a lot of external traffic (hopefully all BT traffic), which would free up external traffic to HTTP and websurfing. This would create a fair network, which allowed priority to webaccess, yet still allowed other protocols. The LAN would still be stable as internal traffic would not use the entire bandwidth yet would be at speeds that no user would complain at. Should allow everyone to be happy.. If FTP is used then the legal dept should also be happy as no P2P applications would be in use!
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

well i hope they (ITS) read this and realise that we want a stable and reliable network too and we are not the ones distroying it !:evil:
wingman

Post by wingman »

agh...someone had to post about HTTP tunnelling! shhhhh shhhs...if it gets that bad and everyone does it it won't work - shhhs keep the details to yourself :P