awww i got fined

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Efex

Post by Efex »

thanks for that. Seemed to be the problem, bloody resnet.

Marc
Draknek

Post by Draknek »

My connection is totally dead, not just DNS.

I can't connect to joshua, and I can't even connect to my own machine if I use its IP address.

EDIT: Okay, ignore that. It's just DNS that's broken, now.
EDIT 2: And as soon as I post that, everything gets better. It had better stay working.
Last edited by Draknek on Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

hahaha i just recieved the same letter :P ur being fined =)

they said i was in breach of the AUP so i worte a letter back saying ur in breach of the AUP for providing such a poor network :lol:
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

ow and also if u dont pay the fine i found out that it goes on ur record and when u graduate they wont let u untill u pay it LMFAO !! :P

Still got 3 years yet ;)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

lol.. that gives u plenty of time to appeal.. and appeal and appeal.. I reckon in the end the legal department will get so pissed off wit ur constant appeals that they'll grant ur appeal :P
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

CrAzYfOoL wrote:ow and also if u dont pay the fine i found out that it goes on ur record and when u graduate they wont let u untill u pay it LMFAO !! :P

Still got 3 years yet ;)
Hahaha...I might just wait until next term or something when I have enough money. This is retarded though, I don't even have enough money for food and stuff! How am I meant to pay some stupid fine?
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

hahaha i know its well funny ima just appeal and appeal and appeal :P its gunna be fun here is a copy of the first of many letters i am sending :)

25 November 2005

Rosemary Gilmore
IT Services
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 7AL
United Kingdom

HEAT REFERENCE: 53408
Dear Rosemary,
In response to your letter dated 21st November. In appeal of my fine, as I cannot find the relevant information on the internet due to its increasing down time, I am writing to you. At the moment the “ADSLâ€ÂÂ
junior aspirin

Post by junior aspirin »

ok. i have a very long letter that i will send to IT services. or whoever the registrar is. i thing parts need to be rewitten and maby made more formal, but i think most points are covered so here it is, the 1st draft....

Dear IT Services.

I am writing for two reasons firstly to appeal against the fine that has been imposed upon me and also related to this, the general state and performance of the service you provide. These two issues are closely related and will explain my issues below.

Firstly i would like to raise the issue of the 'Acceptable Use Policy', a breach of this policy is what i am being fined for, for which i feel is unjust due to poor communication on your behalf. When i joined the university the was an 'Acceptable Use Policy' in place, but a couple of weeks later the policy changed. The change was very brief and vague and sent in the form of an email, there was no formal agreement on my behalf that i accepted these changes. I believe that the students should have been consulted before the change and asked formally via a letter to accept the new agreement. We are now in week 10 of term and the policy is still no clearer. In order for students and staff to understand the policy i believe that a formal well written policy should either be issued in the form of a letter or that a copy is held on the ITS website, so it is clear and easily accessible. The present situation is just confusing.

I also fell that the fine imposed on me was very harsh for a first offence. I understand that you are trying to improve the state of Resnet, but due to the reason detailed above I do not believe that there is a just cause for such a heavy penalty. Since this meeting i have not used any file sharing applications, i did not use it heavily i just share what i had to other people since i own some rare music files. DC++ the application i was using is said to use up a lot of bandwidth. This is true, but it was using internal bandwidth, not that of the external Internet connection. I thought i would point this out as at the meeting i had on 18Th November this was incorrectly stated. Other programs such as bittorrent, kazaa and limewire etc. i understand do cause a large issue in which i agree that it is probably not acceptable to use these services.

Finally i would like to complain against the general poor service of Resnet and the external Internet connection. The first few weeks of term the service was appalling or non-existent. I have paid for this service through my rent, the equivalent of about £5 a week. Also as of about 9 pm 23rd of November the Internet was not available across the whole campus and was not available until 6pm the next day. The loss off the Internet connection is highly inconvenient, since all of our lecture notes, timetables and revision notes are available here. Since it is now approaching the end of term many people have exams, and therefore require access to these resources. In addition to this i do not believe that the network is up to the standard that we are all paying for and was told that would be provided. In addition to this the MSN Messenger service keeps getting disconnected, all of which is unacceptable

Because of this poor service provided i will be voting for the proposed compensation of the students through the student union. When discussing the issue with 2nd and 3rd year students they also agree that the service has seriously declined from previous years. Due to the reasons outlined above i do not feel that there is a just cause for us to be fined £35 for a first time offence unless the severity of the offence is much greater.

Yours sincerely
me :p

so what you think? mayb 2 long?
also the internet i even shitter than before today, and the msn conectivity is realy pissin me off.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

nice good letter.. I look forward to seeing the response to that
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

Nice letter i just sent mine to piss some pple off :wink: my next one will be a proper appeal, i just was so pissed off about getting the letter i wanted to get it across , even delivered it by hand :lol:

just like to point out that

Notes from ResNet Focus Group: 2nd November 2005 :

Issue of filesharing was raised. Re-iterated that internal filesharing was permitted, but that all external filesharing remains prohibited and therefore blocked.

therefore DC++ must have been regarded as internal filesharing as it was not blocked?

EDIT: Also the site about the appeal they put on the letter does not exist ??
www.warwick.ac.uk/info/calendar

How they get outta that one ??
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

ohh just noticed that u said we're in week 10.. we're actually only in week 9 right now!! just thought I'd point it out to u ;)
junior aspirin

Post by junior aspirin »

by the time they get the letter it will be week 10. just writing in advance, but thanks anyway. just needs cleaning up, man i actualy have quite a stronge case here, didnt realise i could rant this well. hhehe. also CrAzYfOoL you state that internal filesharing IS permitted. in which case why am i being fined ??? that is all i used, i havnt used bittorent, kazaa, emule or anything else since being on campus. they r just digging themselves deeper...

edit: i have just added the point made by CrAzYfOoL above add added that the web address they provide just redirects to the homepage....

edit2: i just read the ResNet Focus Group post, it appears that what CrAzYfOoL wrote was a typo.
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

exactly thats my agrument against my fine !! but they said its a typo ? lol
EDIT: it may be a typo but they should have checked their information carefully, i was under the wrong impression from the page :wink:
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

u kno.. u actually have a solid point.. If they inform their users of one thing and mean another thats not the responsibility of the user!!

If they update the typo they can now use it against others, but fines issued b4 that should all be void!!

And to be honest I think ITS should realize this and retract all previous fines.. (not that its gonna happen.. but it would be the right/honorable thing to do!)
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

yep too right they still havent updated the page as of yet so are they sure it was a "typo" ? because if it was my typo i would have changed it by now :wink: