awww i got fined

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

did u copy and paste the letter as there is a fair few inconsistiences in it like spelling in random places where you have not deleted "speal"

i.e.
sych .... such?
eather....either?

not saying its false just wondering,
but i think you should definatly appeal against it and drag it out as long as you can ..... read GOD's post on the Union taking action against accomodation for the poor service. ITS dont provide the internet connection WARWICK ACCOMODATION do so why are ITS getting the money ? they acting on the part of the accomodation ?
junior aspirin

Post by junior aspirin »

sorry i just cant spell (Thats why i do engineering not english). it was a letter that came in the post, so i retyped it. will spell check it in a min...
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

owww ok cool i cant spell either thats y i also do engineering :wink: i just thought they emailed it you ok thats fine

still dont pay it kick up a fuss and w8 for everyone else to join in on complaining about RESNET next week
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

ahh they didnt do the classic we have cut ur internet connection and then send it by email... they finally figured out paper form my reach the student quicker and more reliably... :lol:

I guess they read us making fun of them in earlier topics and decided they better change that.. :P
junior aspirin

Post by junior aspirin »

nah they havnt completely learnt. this is the time they could have sent an email. when they did actualy cut me, they did send me an email, as you may have read earlier. stupid ITS.
Tsenister

Post by Tsenister »

"at your earliest convenience"

means I dont think they are going to push you for it... so wait it out maybe? or is that bad advice?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

exactly if they're gonna play wit words.. u can as well.. prepare some action of appeal.. and while u do that u wait with payment.. when the appeal is in then u hope u get the fine lifted and u can forget about that stupid mess.. that would be wat I would do
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Don't pay!

If you disagree with the decision and fine being made against you, it is commonsense not to pay. In real life situations, e.g. with parking fines, you can appeal without having to pay. Even if you admitted that you broke the AUP, it doesn't mean that the AUP is fair. By paying, you're pretty much accepting that you did something bad. I would personally contest it without paying (not that you should necessarily take my advise).

Cocodude
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

yer i agree with coco. its not as if they recorded your conversation and have you on tape admitting it its just their word. Battle it out dude
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

I got a letter through saying that I was fined as well.

It was a week ago when I got my internet access reconected so you can see why this would be seem as sudden and unexpected. I haven't used DC++ or any other P2P programs ever since being reconnected as well. Not only that, but I need all the money I can get to spend on more important things like food! I can't afford to go and pay a friggin £35 fine when I don't physically have it!

Talk about fair...
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

well I would definetly do wat cocodude suggests.. as I've already said I would do that if I were in ur situation.. dont pay and then make an appeal.. if they reject ur appeal on the grounds that u havent paid that would be ridiculous.. no they'll have to process it and come up with a better argument than that.. U'll have to be ready for a real fight tho.. dont think they're gonna let u off easy.. but I do think u stand a good change of getting ur appeal through.. good luck guys
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

yer good luck guys hope it all works out. If not just appeal again and again :lol:
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

I'm sure if it comes down to it, you can kick up a fuss in the online communities, e.g. slashdot. Imagine the bad PR that'll bring for ITS and the University!

Cocodude
Efex

Have not http access

Post by Efex »

Getting a little worried over in claycroft. My machine seems to have lost http access. I can still access local shares and see other machines on my workgroup.

Any idea whats going on?

Efex
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Piazza DNS seems to be fucked atm you will be able to access stuff if you type in the IP address of the webpage http://66.102.9.104 is google for a good starting point :P