ALARM goes off when connecting to DC++

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

wiccagirl

ALARM goes off when connecting to DC++

Post by wiccagirl »

Wooooah what was that all about. I connected and everything was fine, proceeded to dowload, then an alarm went off on my computer and it switched off. I had to re-boot it..
Have they connected some sort of alarm system to people filesharing within the University, I'm afraid I just uninstalled DC now... I was told that it was ok to file share within the University?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

ITS have NOT connected an alarm to your computer for using DC (There is no physical way ITS could do that). Most likely something overheated due to the load and your computer shut itself down.
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

thats crazy, ITS would never be able to do that.
i bet it never happens to you again in your computing experience even if you used DC every day.
it was a one off
wiccagirl

Post by wiccagirl »

Thanks....Worried now about the implications of it all so gonna call it a day with DC. I wish this Uni would invest money in decent aerials so we could get a tv reception! Also as I said before I was always told that file sharing within Uni was ok.. but any hassle just isn't worth it.
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Most likely an overheat alarm - have you moved your computer recently?
It might be worth checking your processor heatsink is seated correctly :)
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

haha, the paranoia is taking over
Satan Commands Me
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

I love the way ppl are starting to panic all over.. Its getting more frequent with the odd panic attack.. I guess ITS feel a success.. but really all they've done is remove the "noob" filesharers... the rest will always find otherways and thus be a step ahead of ITS...
Tsenister

Post by Tsenister »

you make us sound like hackers.... :roll:
Anon101

Post by Anon101 »

:? yeh unfortunately it's true. The only thing theyre really doing is getting rid of noobs via scare tactics, or whatnot, doesn't really work though, because its not them who share most of the files...
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Tsenister wrote:you make us sound like hackers.... :roll:
well to a certain extent yes.. and to be honest many of the true (massive file-sharers. ie 5+TB shares on ftp servers etc) are also hackers (in the evil sense).
Anon101 wrote::? yeh unfortunately it's true. The only thing theyre really doing is getting rid of noobs via scare tactics, or whatnot, doesn't really work though, because its not them who share most of the files...
Exactly my point.. the noobs will of course be the ones that are more likely to run Bittorent clients without restricting the connection and speed. But generally the most bandwidth is used by the big sharers and they'll always be a step ahead.. I think if ITS were wise they'd start a dialogue with the file-sharing community and get a compromise. It will be better for them if the file-sharers agree to cut external traffic in exchange for an on-campus hub.. ITS would no longer have problems with their external traffic (well unless they've been completely full of shit and filesharers are in no way at fault for the bandwidth problems :D)...
God

Post by God »

wiccagirl wrote:Thanks....Worried now about the implications of it all so gonna call it a day with DC. I wish this Uni would invest money in decent aerials so we could get a tv reception! Also as I said before I was always told that file sharing within Uni was ok.. but any hassle just isn't worth it.
get a infra red connection set. plug one end into the wall socket in the kitchen and other end into your tv. it'll be fine :)

echelon it doesnt really take a genius to realise that the directive on internal dc++ hasnt come from ITS. do you really think the engineers give a shit?

I used to fine employees 15% of a weeks wages for using BT like programs. And you can always catch the hoggers if you work on it hard enough. Flagging up high use bandwidth users and inspecting packet sizes and types is one method... there are many others. Sure the whores are going to stay ahead of ITS most of the time, but ITS are capable of hitting back too.... its like the old crc32 exploit in ssh1.... hackers used to love that but there was a way of creating virtual boxes to have them going around in loops appearing to have access but actually just being tracked back to source...

If I was in charge of ITS policy I'd come down heavy on the bw whores. It's not fair on the other users. If your that bothered use a remote server then ftp download the files.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

God wrote:echelon it doesnt really take a genius to realise that the directive on internal dc++ hasnt come from ITS. do you really think the engineers give a shit?
I never said anything about the engineers!! ITS is not only engineers.. I believe the top management like the director/deputy director arent!! They have definetly had a hand in these new policies (ie maybe they had outside help but ITS leadership was involved!!) .. so sorry to say I do believe these directives could easily have come from ITS.. so maybe no it doesnt take a genius to realize wat u're saying, but it does take a genius to realize it's wrong.. I would hope not, but I'm sure u just got trigger happy and blurted b4 thinking!
God wrote:I used to fine employees 15% of a weeks wages for using BT like programs. And you can always catch the hoggers if you work on it hard enough. Flagging up high use bandwidth users and inspecting packet sizes and types is one method... there are many others. Sure the whores are going to stay ahead of ITS most of the time, but ITS are capable of hitting back too.... its like the old crc32 exploit in ssh1.... hackers used to love that but there was a way of creating virtual boxes to have them going around in loops appearing to have access but actually just being tracked back to source...
well to be honest there are ways to disguise urself inside the network as well, but yes I do remember the old crc32 exploit. To be honest tho the big hackers moved on b4 the fix was properly implemented.. as I said "1 step ahead".. I kno ITS properly wont have that level of hackers to deal with, but still saying that in general the big users will be ahead of ITS finding new ways of file-sharing.. Yes ITS could put up a fight and we'd get a nice little "network warfare", but the question whether its worth the time and money.. My point was more to encourage for dialogue. If the 2 parties communicate and find a solution I'm sure the network could reach an acceptable level far quicker!
God wrote:If I was in charge of ITS policy I'd come down heavy on the bw whores. It's not fair on the other users. If your that bothered use a remote server then ftp download the files.
God u do kno that I dont live on campus right?? i'm not actually personally that worried I get my files perfectly fine.. n yes I do use FTP servers already (refer to earlier posts in other topics).. Also as I have also said earlier many times I am in no way a supported of BT and I too would crack down on the major BT whores.. DC++ being different as I see a lot of good from DC++ and especially an on-campus hub. ie social aspect, file-sharing of open-source software, increases overall IT knowledge as many of the DC discussions actually teach users to use the computer in different ways than they'd otherwise have been taught by business modules like Computer Information Systems, etc.
God

Post by God »

Apologies echelon. My post came across as personal which it wasn't meant to be.

I dont want to say too much as I wont give anything confidential but I'll say this.

As far as dialogue is concerned, I was at a recent ITS meeting and I proposed ITS setting up a hub at webfarm to counter the filesharing problems. The answer is a flat no, due to the legal problems the university could encounter from doing so.

The social aspect is regrettable, but surely can be countered by twofo socials and handing out CD's etc? :) A 4.7gb dvd costs about 50p... hardly breaking the bank.

And the argument about open source isnt really worth discussing. We both know that software is accessible through many other fast methods, and anybody wishing to obtain the latest version of BSD will know it too.

Sorry to appear defensive etc.. I'm just trying to communicate to you that it's not going to happen and that there are other methods.

Is an oncampus FTP server against the AUP for example?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

No problem God. Also I agree with u that it probably currently is not possible.. I have gotten the feeling that the ITS leadership is very stiff.. havent been to any internal meetings, but I've been told this from elsewhere and seem constanly have it confirmed.

Would turning a blind eye to an on-campus hub give the same legal implications?? its very different from having ITS setup a hub in their own webfarm..

the on-campus FTP server is a good idea, it requires either a central location or if decentralised then it will be harder to search. Also u'll need an online site (preferrably with content password protected) with links to each users FTP server.. One of the FTP networks I have been with had a similar system. the site displayed whether the FTP server was online and how much was shared.. each user had their own account with a registered FTP server. They could only log in to the site if their own FTP server was online and had a minimum share. I helped develop the original idea some years ago, but unfortunately didnt have time to do that actual development. I dont kno whether I can get the sourcecode for it as the website is not running as the network ended and split!
God

Post by God »

It wouldn't be too difficult to do. I'm sure some CS kids could work it out quite easily.

And you could share your "open source software" and build the "community spirit" to your hearts content.