ALARM goes off when connecting to DC++

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

slinky

Post by slinky »

Ah, an on-campus FTP server... I was thinking about that a few weeks ago... but i'm sure as soon as ITS management get a sniff of it, they'll outlaw that too (after all, it carries the same legal implications as DC or BT)

Perhaps this should be a question we raise this wednesday at the focus group?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Well u're right in many ways except that P2P is in great focus and they will certainly not be receiving letters about FTP servers.. while ISP often get letters concerning DC++ and BT.. often letters will just be randomly sent to ISP's...

I reckon ITS could not properly argue for the shutdown of FTP as well.. Its usage is well known for important legal usage. It would almost be like shutting down HTTP.. They could restrict its bandwidth, but to fine ppl for using FTP I really doubt!!
God

Post by God »

You've a few things to consider slinky.

ITS would not outlaw an FTP like system if it was on campus and not swallowing up tons of external bandwidth. For starters ftp would be locked down and password protected so they'd be no way of knowing *what* files were being shared.
Additionally FTP sharing has been going around for years...they cant control it any more than they can you sshing into your box at home, running BT, and having your kid brother send down DVD's full of copied stuff.

I honestly believe a lot of you are moaning about nothing regarding the P2P. It was always going to come. It always had to come, either because of the network model or a legal department saying so. It brings the university more in line with 90% of other universities in the country regulation wise.

Both the internet and ITS are evolving. Can Twofo evolve with them and actively participate in helping n00bs etc; or will they continue to moan and groan about dc++ having being banned.

The irony is that had you guys looked for a solution from the outset there would be no problems or conflicts with ITS now. As Echelon said...filesharers are always a step ahead: get a legal step ahead within the AUP.
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

FTP it is ;)

EDIT: I think we should make a new post that has a more relevant title for posting FTP information and prospects..
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Twofo DC++ hub for off-campus can still exists and then a FTP network for on-campus can run in parallel to this.. Sharing between the two could be arranged via DVDs or External HDs!!
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Or people could grab stuff from off campus via http/ftp :)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

BigG wrote:Or people could grab stuff from off campus via http/ftp :)
yes that would definetly make ITS happy and allow for mutual understanding and acceptance.. hmm BigG we're trying to find a solution ITS would be happy with and accept.. not something that will get them even more pissed off ;)
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

ITS are idiots, they're not going to accept anything so we might as well just set out annoying the fuck out of them in the most imaginative and infuriating ways :P
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

BigG wrote:ITS are idiots, they're not going to accept anything so we might as well just set out annoying the fuck out of them in the most imaginative and infuriating ways :P
well in that case why stop at the external FTP downloads..

we could all gang up on them - DoS attacks would do the job.. lol

nah I reckon we should give them a change to realize we're willing to meet half way.. If they dont show the will to compromise and find a solution that everyone can be happy with.. well I'm sure we can definetly find a lot of ways of being the biggest pests ever!! :P