Connecting using LinuxDC

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Danh860

Connecting using LinuxDC

Post by Danh860 »

Hi all,

I've recently installed Ubuntu and am trying to connect to twofo with LinuxDC.

I've installed stunnel and changed the .conf file as specified in the wiki. In LinuxDC I set the address to "hub.twofo.co.uk:4146". When I try to connect though it says 'Connected' but the user list and welcome note doesnt come up and after a while it says "Connect failed: Connection reset by peer".

I think I've got everything set correct in Preferences>Connection, although the wiki says to connect to 'localhost:8000' and I'm not sure where to put this...

Does anyone have an idea of where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Re: Connecting using LinuxDC

Post by astropoint »

You need to set the address in LinuxDC to localhost:8000 (and make sure stunnel is running) and that will forward your connection properly onto the hub.
Danh860

Post by Danh860 »

Thanks for the help,

I changed the address to localhost:8000 but now I get a message saying "connect failed:connection refused".

I thought that meant that meant there was a problem with stunnel, so replaced the modified stunnel.conf file with the one from the "how to connect page".

From a different post on the forum, I tried the command "netstat -l | grep 8000" which outputs:

tcp6 0 0 localhost:8000 [::]:* LISTEN

I think that stunnel is running ok...Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Sounds to me like stunnel isn't running ok still. How did you start stunnel, what command I mean? Also, which stunnel.conf file are you editing, your own one or the one in /etc/stunnel/?
Danh860

Post by Danh860 »

Yeah I initially modified the .conf file in /etc/stunnel but now I just replaced the file with the one on the "how to connect page" (the one with just 6 lines of code).

I run stunnel using "sudo stunnel" and to be fair, a lot of info comes up which I don't understand; there are issues such as the .pem file doesnt exist but I read on this forum that that's ok. I just assumed that the response generated from the "netstat" command indicated stunnel was running ok.
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

Just looking at your netstat output, stunnel should be listening for connections on IPv4 not IPv6.

try running the following code and see if it changes things

Code: Select all

sudo stunnel4
Danh860

Post by Danh860 »

After restarting the computer and trying "sudo stunnel4", I still get the response:
tcp6 0 0 localhost:8000 [::]:* LISTEN

Is there something in the .conf file I should be changing?

Thanks,
Dan
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

I think by default stunnel reads from the /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf file, so that is the one you need to put the bits off the wiki into.
Failing that you can specify which conf file to use by doing

Code: Select all

sudo stunnel /path/to/stunnel.conf
Obviously changing it as required for wherever your.conf file is. Whether it is stunnel4 or just stunnel you need to be running I've never been entirely sure, what works for one person doesn't seem to necessarily work for the next so maybe try with both