ResNet Focus Group

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

bla bla bla

they'll never figure the AUP out.. they'll continue to be bastards with it.. they themselves said "we'll change it whenever we like" so not expecting much from them..
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

ITS bashing guys lets all turn up in force @ next meeting and give them summin to think about over the break ;)
oliford

Post by oliford »

Well, I for one will certainly be turning up this week as I'm particularly unhappy with ITS at the moment.

Those of you that were there will probably remeber that one of the things discussed and agreed upon by both the staff and students was that the communications from ITS to us has been fairly bad and needed to be improved. Why was this not mentioned in the minutes sent out? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought minutes of meetings were supposed to include everything discussed by all parties, not just the bits they liked.

You will also no doubt be aware that there has been a major failure on resnet this week. It was originally reported at the focus group meeting because it had first appeared last tuesday night. The fault is that all connections are reset by the resnet gateway ever few minutes during peek times.

There has been no solution, no updates describing any progress toward a solution and even no acknowledgement of the problem itself. The problem has continued for 6 days now with still no actual comment by ITS. I reported it officially by emailing the helpdesk on thursday night. I have received the automatic response but nothing else yet after 4 days.

Their website contains none of the information emailed to focus group attendees that Kat has kindly posted. This morning the website still claimed that the next meeting was on the 23rd Nov. I sent them an email with the above comments and it seems they've done a little since then.

So far, any attempt by ITS to improve communications has certainly not been successful.

I am really getting the impression that ITS are under funded and/or under staffed to cope with running ResNet. It is not a exactly a small network, it runs 24/7 and has peak times out of office hours and really needs a technical team on call 24/7. If this is the case then the students union action against Warwick Accomodation will certinaly be helpful, and so I shall be at that meeting to. Which department is to blame is up for discussion at the moment but one thing is clear: The level of network service that has been present this week is NOT acceptable.

See you all there.

oliford
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

I am really getting the impression that ITS are under funded and/or under staffed to cope with running ResNet.

dont leave out underskilled.
that i think is more apparent than anything else.
God

Post by God »

yoinkster wrote:
I am really getting the impression that ITS are under funded and/or under staffed to cope with running ResNet.

dont leave out underskilled.
that i think is more apparent than anything else.
Wrong. The ITS engineers are skilled at what they do. There are just not enough of them.
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

its true they are good and they know what they r doing its the management thats the problem
oliford

ResNet Update

Post by oliford »

It seems after 7 days ITS have acknowledged the fault:
ITS wrote:You will all be aware that the problems on the ResNet seem to have exacerbated since the latter part of last week.

We have instigated a Major Incident within IT Services, which was originally called on Thursday of last week and re-instigated yesterday.

A formal update will be provided to all residents later today, but wanted to give you some information prior to that.

A network card was replaced in the traffic shaper last night which it was hoped would rectify the problems of yesterday : it did not. During the evening the Network team were in constant communication with the traffic shaper consultant, and replacement hardware is currently being sourced.

Subsequent to this, our Network consultants are working with the Network team in reviewing, once again, the configuration of the network including the firewalls.

News broadcasts will be posted to the Student Computing website as and when things happen. A number of residents are being contacted to carry out some tests - if you are available to provide feedback please contact the HelpDesk on 75000.

And also, it seems they must read this forum, unless someone else spotted this and told them:
ITS wrote:In the meantime, I wanted to acknowledge something that was erroneously omitted from last week's minutes. One of the comments made at the Focus Group last Wednesday was that ITS have not handled the communication with residents as well as we could have : this we certainly would not dispute. Nonetheless, we will continue to strive to improve!
So it seems that they have been working on the problem, even if they haven't formally knowledged it until now.

And finally, it has been rumoured that ITS are worried about the union action being carried out, particularly a point about telling the press of the situation. If you are and do indeed read this, I would like to point out that the proposed policy is aimed entirely at Warwick Accomodation and not ITS, as it is them that are responsible for providing what they advertised to us and especially the first years. The high speed network connection is (or certainly was) something the university management is proud of and if it wants to continue to tell prospective students that we have it, then it will be required provide it.
God

Post by God »

I can confirm that warwick accommodation have finally responded, and I will be attending a meeting next week with union officials and senior members of the university to discuss a compensation settlement for all students.

Meanwhile we will pass this motion at the general meeting tonight, and then myself and Nick Seagrave will prepare a battleplan for if the meeting does not bring satisfactory results.
oliford

Post by oliford »

Blimey! I didn't expect that.
Tsenister

Post by Tsenister »

God has got his guns out now. I wouldnt like to see him unhappy. A man without his internet..
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

ROFL.. finally Warwick Accomodation make some action.. took them long enough.. they'll pay now... hehe

also the above about ITS.. they already kno that its against Warwick Accomodation.. and yes they do read the forums.. they've already admitted to that!! :P
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

man that meeting was so shit.
formal this and motion that, sheesh.
how anyone had so much to say about the sponsors from "unethical" companies is beyond me. stupid waste of time really :razz:
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yoinkster wrote:man that meeting was so shit.
formal this and motion that, sheesh.
how anyone had so much to say about the sponsors from "unethical" companies is beyond me. stupid waste of time really :razz:
I like the way that the twofo group got up and left after they decided against moving to an immediate vote... seriously how lame was that discussion on the sponsorship motion.. so much circular arguing goes to my head.. I hate bureaucrats!!
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

and then, like we were *the* people of the meeting, everyone got up to leave

"please guys dont leave, please, its really important"
"fuck that, im outta here"
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

I thought the queue that had formed behind us when we left was pretty impressive