**MEETING WITH ITS**(READ)

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

**MEETING WITH ITS**(READ)

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

well my meethin with Mary (Dep. Director of ITS) was today @12,
Thought i would just give a brief summary so people know what the score is:

Basically What was said is,as of the beginning of this year the policy has changed and now file sharing is illegal on the network. The reason for me, and 16 other users (17 in total including me) were repremanded was to prove a point that they are cracking down on the whole DC++ thing. Apparantly (whitout verification) they have received letters from Columbia Pictures and Sony detailing concerns about shared content (even though companies like this send out random letters to scare people and there is still no proof of letters) Again DC++ is being blamed for the bandwidth proplems and the poor state of the network. When i aked about the port blocking state i was told that they were blocked due to a virius on the network:P. I have been allowed my internet back but under the conditions that i uninstall any software such as DC++ or anyother p2p programs:lol: . I still may have some disaplinnary action take against me such as a fine, but the Director of ITS was in a meeting today to discuss this with various people. And they also look at the forum from time to time so if any ITS people are reading this hope you find it interesting. I think that the main factor was external downloading from internal users causing a high bandwidth consumption and thus a noticeable effect. to the traffic on different SubNets. Well thats about it i think any questions/comments welcome XD

EDIT:

Also for people interested here are the notes from todays RESNET focus group meeting:

Firstly I'd like to thank those of you who attended today for taking the time to
come along this lunchtime.

For the benefit of those who were unable to attend, there were representatives from
Heronbank East and West, Whitefields, Rootes, Claycroft and Redfern.

The following points were noted:

1) Reported that performance had once again deteriorated in the past 48 hours.

2) Heronbank : reported unable to sign on to MSN Tues evening. Taking in excess of
1 minute to load a web page. FTP not working. Problems connecting to WebMail. But
HTTPS traffic seeming OK.

3) Rootes : problems connecting Tues eve. Particularly bad at 10.00pm : MSN not
working. Noted that a faulty switch had been replaced which would have had a
bearing on the network performance. On the whole however, reported that performance
in Rootes had improved.

4) Whitefields : again slow at around 2.00am this morning.

5) Claycroft : Skype particularly bad yet residents from Emscote have reported to
Student Computing that Skype was the only thing that's been working well.

6) Generally reported to be problems reaching internal campus websites.

7) Statements regarding the improved performance at Redfern were withdrawn once it
was realised that the resident had been accessing via the proxy server. Performance
at Redfern continues to be poor.

A couple of points that were made, and are worth re-iterating:

i) Activity on the ResNet does not affect the performance of the Campus network,
and vice versa

ii) There have been problems with GroupWise WebMail which are not connected to
problems on the ResNet

iii) The issue of connecting to internal sites had not been reported before, but
will be highlighted to the Network Services Team.

iv) IT Services will persevere as long as it takes to resolve the performance issues
being experienced and will explore all avenues - that may take time.

We will feed back to the Network Services Team the information gathered today.

We would still encourage you to attend future meetings as your input will help us
isolate and identify probems.

Please provide us with as much information as possible regarding connection problems
you may have : the more useful, qualitative information we have, the better able we
will be to focus attention on a solution.

Thank you again.

Next week's meeting will be at 12.30 in Ramphal 113.

Hope to see you there

Kind regards
Ruth

-=CrAzY=-
Last edited by CrAzYfOoL on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

iv) IT Services will persevere as long as it takes to resolve the performance issues
being experienced and will explore all avenues - that may take time.

bollox, ITS sat on their asses when we reported problems when I was on campus and I have seen nothing to change my opinion that ITS are the absolute worst ISP in the world, way ahead of even AOL on the shit scale.
here I quote the ITS FAQ, apparently for the student's money, he/she *will* receive "an 'always on' connection to a fast Ethernet network" AND "internet speeds that are at least equivalent to a domestic broadband service". How many people would like to say they haven't epxerienced this ?
The University *do* receive a lot of copyright infrigement notices but if they were to allow an on campus hub to run then it wouldn't matter because it would all be internal and no-one would know of it. ITS can't stop people pirating because too many people do it and there are so many ways to do it. They could theoretically block everything expect http traffic but that would be a substandard service and students will just move to other ISPs who don't monitor traffic.
In short, ITS are being a nuisance just because they can, they don't care if they win or lose they just want to put their fugly faces in where no-one wants them.
Surely until ITS receive a complaint from a company and provide an IP address, they aren't allowed to monitor everyone's traffic just for the sake of it ?
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

yep i no, its just one big story
slinky

Re: **MEETING WITH ITS**(READ)

Post by slinky »

CrAzYfOoL wrote: Also for people interested here are the notes from todays RESNET focus group meeting:

Firstly I'd like to thank those of you who attended today for taking the time to
come along this lunchtime.

For the benefit of those who were unable to attend, there were representatives from
Heronbank East and West, Whitefields, Rootes, Claycroft and Redfern.
were you the guy wearing green?

we were fairly sure that there was a twofo regular there..
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

no i didnt go as i was in this meeting, but im goin next week will prob be wearing my big red ski coat :)
i got the email sent to me from Dep. of ITS
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Who went to the meeting??? any comments from the ppl that went??