ITS Blocking Ports

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

BigG wrote:Yes, that does seem rather nonsensicle :S
wat the hell is nonsensicle?? or even sensicle for that matter :P
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

CruzerMX wrote:Sending files over msn here is damn near impossible- its like 56k speeds! thats what pisses me off - legal filesharing isnt even possible cause of the shit connections we have!!!
A friend was transferring files to me last night, and the internal speed was quite decent (about 4-5mb/s).

Before that though, I continually got 'disconnected' from MSN and other things, and it's happening again tonight. Grrr...
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

Yea I know the internal transfers are fast, but I'm talking external, which in my opinion shouldn't be so slow for the amount we are paying.

Anyway after tonight I'm really pissed off. And I want my money back!!
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

Now I can only connect to 'certain' websites.

This is stupid, even google isn't among the websites I can connect to!

All of these troubles in less than an hour.
Corran

Post by Corran »

It's crazy. I've been searching and so far I've found four websites I can connect to. Fortunately one of them is this one so I can bitch about it but the strange thing is that the ones which do work, load very quickly.
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

Yeah this is the only site apart from www.internetfrog.com that loads for me... and it loads very fast - probably due to the high amount of spare bandwidth.
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

I want to see this get blamed on P2P...just watch.
oliford

Post by oliford »

For me, the service was disconnecting and reconnecting every 2 minutes from 19:54 to 20:15 and then again every few minutes from 20:46 to 21:33. People I know accross campus on msn were going on and off at the same time, one in Hurst and one in Claycroft so this isn't likely to be a subnet specific thing and by their own logic therefore not P2P related. Also, I have logs from IRC showing the connection actually being reset, IRC normally survives a lag of up to about 90s, so this can't be traffic related. This will be hard to blame on P2P. I shall give this to ITS later.

Also, the DNS servers dissappeared for a while, meaning nothing worked. However your machine will cache quite a few domain to IP mapping and you should be able to continue to access those site. Were these specific sites you could all connect to things you had been to before resnet started going nuts tonight?
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Which DNS servers does the resnet use now?
I always found they were slow at the best of times, manually setting dns0.warwick.ac.uk (137.205.128.17) as your DNS server may help.
oliford

Post by oliford »

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.146.136.12
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.146.136.13

Yes, good idea, didn't think of that. Thanks.
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Yeah, crap bandwidth is bad enough, but tbh DNS failure is unacceptable.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

haha this only gets better.. wats gonna be next.. rats eating the actual network cables... its incredible.. routers dying, dns servers frying.. wat the hell is goin on.. Is is just me that things that its way too much at the same time?? this equipment has gotta be ancient otherwise why is it all just failing?? certainly cant be high traffic since it seems most ppl cant even use the available traffic :P
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

You /know/ that it's a backbone token ring and they've gone and lost the bloody token! I mean, c'mon ITS, it's behind the sofa, that's where everything is that is lost!
Efex

Post by Efex »

lol
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

LMFAO rang ITS and they put me through to about 6 different people and did not know whats going on at all :P