ITS Blocking Ports

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Dec

Post by Dec »

I heard this today, which kinda makes sense but could be complete BS...

Basically ITS are separate to Warwick Uni. Warwick Uni don't want any file sharing etc going on due to legal reasons. However ITS unblocked DC++ as it is safer then using other p2p (as its less likely to have viruses or the feds on it?) And also doesn't take up fast amount of external bandwidth (which seems to be so precious to them). However if you download too much (ie the 17 people (possibly)) then they have to take action.

Thus blaming Warwick uni and not ITS... hmmm...

Dec
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

well when i was at the meeting i was told that this year the Net was Brought "in house" meaning its controlled from whithin the university as opposed to last year where it was externally controlled. This is why the change in rules and regs. As for Dlin i think its ok in small amounts i think i got busted as i left it on overnight where my 3 slots were in constant UL status to people off campus thus using bandwidth.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

oliford wrote:Yea, exactly. Do you think we can all agree there are at least a few issues with definitions now?
Yes I definetly think ITS need to specify their termns a lot more.. I have mentioned this issue at other times. And I truly think that its just proper service to the consumer (in this case the residents). I mean they definetly should improve their overall communication with the residents. The Focus Groups are a good step, but its not good enough. The website needs more up to date info and more specific useful information. And yes they should properly and specifically define the terms they use, to avoid confusion.
slinky

Post by slinky »

CrAzYfOoL wrote: this year the Net was Brought "in house" meaning its controlled from whithin the university as opposed to last year where it was externally controlled.
yes.
a couple of weeks after term started, a contract with an external company was ended, and control of Resnet was brought in-house.
Problem is, apparently no new staff were brought into ITS to cope with this extra work. So as well as the work that ITS always had to do, they now have to sort Resnet out too.

Who's guessing that within a couple of weeks of term 2, Resnet will be contracted out again...?
Well, I am. I can imagine that if the current awful performance persists, there will be quite a lot of pressure on ITS, which means that they will pass the buck onto someone else.
Worst thing is, we'll probably get an email boasting that they've hired a company in and things can only get better from here. Sickening as they sacked another company just over a month ago.. :roll:
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

hehe very true.. would not surprise me if they did hire another company... I reckon they're not to happy bout all the critism thats raining down upon them at the moment.. so to outsource might be somethin they're thinking bout again... but they'll have to make sure its at a good level as they obviously have to make it look like an improvement.. otherwise the outsourcing will look like a failure..
wingman

Post by wingman »

Incase you guys are interested in msn, msn 8 (unreleased public) does have a nice file sharing folder option with which you can share large quantities of files between fellow contacts.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

wingman wrote:Incase you guys are interested in msn, msn 8 (unreleased public) does have a nice file sharing folder option with which you can share large quantities of files between fellow contacts.
lol I'm sure ITS love that news... even microsoft has joined in support of the filesharing community... man ITS are really alone now :lol:

dont worry tho.. I'm sure ITS will simply not allow MSN then... ohh wait I forgot my friend (for his 3rd project + phd) is developing a new method of P2P which is completely encrypted and should run over HTTP... If wat I understand from him is right.. wat he has already got is already well on the way.. n I believe ITS would have to actually block web access to shut out P2P.. lol

Oh this new method should also not need any client.. so u couldnt even get prosecuted or fined for using P2P apps lol :P
God

Post by God »

MS are developing their own version of BT lol...

But it all has DRM built in innit
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

God wrote:MS are developing their own version of BT lol...

But it all has DRM built in innit
YAY for Microsoft!!!

{echelon slaps himself}

cant believe I just said that.... YAY LINUX!! :P
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

The thing that annoys me the most about all of this is that if I want to transfer files over MSN then it is actually 'recommended', whereas if I wish to transfer files over any other means it is seemed as condemned to the point where I will get FINED and my connection cut for it?

Shocking. If my friend wanted to send me some files over MSN then it would be perfectly legal, and only more of an inconvenience to both me and him, yet ITS would find no fault in it.

I find this as unfair.
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

Sending files over msn here is damn near impossible- its like 56k speeds! thats what pisses me off - legal filesharing isnt even possible cause of the shit connections we have!!!
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

yep its supposed to be basically p2p connection where users connect directly but the internet is so slow files take years!
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

well come on.. wat do u expect.. its microsoft technology.. it aint gonna be great even wit a freaking amazing connection ;)
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

true too true

/me eats his words, dam Mickeysoft
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Yes, that does seem rather nonsensicle :S