ITS Blocking Ports

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

CrAzYfOoL wrote:LMFAO rang ITS and they put me through to about 6 different people and did not know whats going on at all :P
not surprising.. u kno if ITS replaced all their Microsoft servers by lin-ux servers the network might improve.. I reckon the microsoft servers are to blame not P2P.. I bet they randomly spam the network (if they're not dead from overworking ie having run a process :P)
Last edited by echelon on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

uve prob just told em summin new :P can imagine em reading this goin "HOLY SHIT!! OUR SERVERS ARE MICROSOFT ?!?!"
that would make me giggle
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

CrAzYfOoL wrote:uve prob just told em summin new :P can imagine em reading this goin "HOLY SHIT!! OUR SERVERS ARE MICROSOFT ?!?!"
that would make me giggle
well all the engineers kno it.. n I kno that at least a few of them would prefer lin-ux any day.. I'm sure its the management and leadership that think they're super wise and yet its their incompetence thats keeping the network from being fixed
Last edited by echelon on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

or course the engineers are good guys and they know their stuff its the management tht suXs
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

CrAzYfOoL wrote:or course the engineers are good guys and they know their stuff its the management tht suXs
definetly.. We need to get new leadership of ITS and Warwick Accomodation...

REVOLUTION!!
Saberwing

Post by Saberwing »

The service here has been absolutely shocking. I get booted continuously every 30 seconds regardless of what I'm connected to. I can't even upload things for this website I run because it keeps disconnecting...ugh.
oliford

Post by oliford »

Further faults

The DNS servers were unaccessible to me all through last night and most of today.
The connection resets have started again tonight and so I've written a full fault report to the ITS helpdesk. This includes a full log of all the disconnects (it's long). These were from 19:52 to 20:13 and again from 20:44 to 21:32 last night. Tonight, the same has occured from 20:48 onwards (it is now 22:33 and is still going on). I have also attached a screenshot of my firewall showing the simultaneous forcefull conection reset on two entirely independant connections, one to quakenet.co.uk:8080 and one to my server oliford.co.uk on ssh (http://files.oliford.co.uk/resnet-failu ... -RESET.png if anyone cares) and then this piece of text:

my email to ITS wrote:Connections to speedwell.csv.warwick.ac.uk and maia.epp.warwick.ac.uk are unaffected. An image file is attached with a screenshot of my firewall trapping the simultaneous connection reset of IRC and SSH.

The above information is enough to assertain that a machine on the RESNET gateway to the internet is terminating these connections and as far as I can see this cannot be a direct effect of there being too much traffic on our subnet, unless the policy is to start forcefully dropping connections when the subnet traffic reaches its maximum.
Let's see how they blame that on P2P.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Hmm...I had my first problems tonight at 19:56
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

i am having general problems msn timing out etc :( its crap
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

wow sounds like things are getting worse and worse..

wait astropoint have u been able to connect fine while all the rest have been having problems.. hmm I guess ur lit bubble has finally burst.. :P
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Nope...for the past 3 evenings, from about 7/8pm, the internet has started disconnecting every couple of mins. This makes MSN and many other applications almost unusable. Yet there have been a coyple of things (downloading a file off a friend for instance) that seemed to be completely unaffected for some reason.
It makes no sense!
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

It's all a conspiracy I tell thee!

...Or it could just be that they are incompetant and are using Windoze Connection Sharing...
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

LMFAO they used the "home and office" network wizard to set up resnet :mrgreen:
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

I've seen worse :\
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

haha.. I'm sure they read "Networking for Dummies" :P

otherwise they should definetly get a copy.. I'm sure they might learn loads.. since it cant be worse than wat they've got already