CONNECTING TO TWOFO FROM CAMPUS

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

jjlondonuk

CONNECTING TO TWOFO FROM CAMPUS

Post by jjlondonuk »

I thought it would be useful to have a topic for connection issues relating to on-campus users only so that the debate is not confused.

I have had patchy access over the last few days whether using socks 5 or not. Any tips on connecting more quickly?!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Socks 5 seems to be the best way. I have connected a few times in active mode but that was very rare. Just try to reconnect a few times, should work fine.
"Fear the day when the president sends an icq message to the loser saying 'eye fuxx0red j00!!'"
huttdaniel

Post by huttdaniel »

can anyone help? i do not understand how to connect using socks, wot should i do?
adfad666

Post by adfad666 »

you need to purchase a big multi-pack of socks, any kind are good, such as the cheapo ones you can get from the market...

just join them end to end from your PC to the twofo server and that should give you direct access and great speeds...
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Rofl, although Tescos own are pretty good as well ;)
PanMaster
twofo fucksmudge

Post by PanMaster »

don't listen to that nonsense, search the internet far and wide for HTTP tunnelling software such as Putty or buy socks server software. As long as you have a connection outside the campus you just have to setup the tunneling server there and use a password. Connect to it using either port 80, 25? or 101? and then do anything you want. I'm going to have a go at it myself.
An alternative is to connect to the internet on a mobile phone or satellite dish if you can keep it out of sight, but upload speed wouldn't be great.
CruzerMX

Post by CruzerMX »

hahahaaHAHAHAAA

this is such a stupid answer that at first i thought you were joking. seriously mate go stick ur head in the toilet and flush it - then u'd officially be the pan master!!

where shall i start? i really dont know theres loads i could take the piss for but i'll leave it at this:

mobile phone? good luck with that one mate, come back to me when you get it to work.

and satellite dish? oh hang on i have one right here, its massive though i might stick it on the roof under a camouflaged netting so as not to attract attention.
PanMaster wrote:don't listen to that nonsense
typo: you meant this
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

In my first year in Westwood, when we didn't have internet access, I used a mobile phone connected to my computer for Internet access. It would probably work for twofo chat, but file transfers would be very slow (downloading an average MP3 took about an hour). If you connected a 3G phone to your computer, the connection would likely be pretty good. With satellites, usually they're downlink only, unless you had a very powerful one that could send a signal back to the satellite.

Cocodude
huttdaniel

Post by huttdaniel »

adfad666 wrote:you need to purchase a big multi-pack of socks, any kind are good, such as the cheapo ones you can get from the market...

just join them end to end from your PC to the twofo server and that should give you direct access and great speeds...
yeh good one mate thanks for the help... everyone is so nice on this forum, i wish i could meet u all in person, but u guys dont come out do u only show ur faces on the net
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

We're not being knobs on purpose. We can't tell you cos ITS may be monitoring this board. Sorry dude.
"Fear the day when the president sends an icq message to the loser saying 'eye fuxx0red j00!!'"
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

huttdaniel wrote:yeh good one mate thanks for the help... everyone is so nice on this forum, i wish i could meet u all in person, but u guys dont come out do u only show ur faces on the net
That's why we're having a social on Saturday.

I think the main issue is that people assume the hub is down (or 'DC++ isn't working') when they can't connect to the hub, but it's because of ITS issues and has been mentioned many, many times before. We need people to come up with more sustainable ideas for how an on-campus solution could work as twofo can't handle much more than 250 connections anyway.

Cocodude
g1n_munk3y

Post by g1n_munk3y »

CruzerMX wrote:hahahaaHAHAHAAA

mobile phone? good luck with that one mate, come back to me when you get it to work.
dude, connected my phone to my pc on saturday, used as 3G modem, had great conn to DC, and downloaded more on bittorrent in 3 minutes than i did in 24 hours just using resnet.

unfortunately I only have 4MB data allowance on my phone contract. (tempted to find a second phone with cheap tarrif and big data allowance for torrenting stuff...)
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

3 are allowing Internet access for £45/month. Not sure if it's limited though, but I wouldn't be surprised if the service is better than the resnet one even if it's shared between two people :-/

Cocodude
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Yea both vodafone n 3 are offering internet deals.. Is 3 offering a special modem for ur computer as well?? cus I think I've seen vodafone offering that..

would be interesting wat ITS will do if ppl start to simply demand to get their £5 refunded and then get internet through 3 or vodafone :P

Would be better of course if resnet actually just got to a level that was acceptable for the price that is actually being paid.. Not like the users are paying for wat they get.. they're paying more than me (I've got a 2Mbit). cus u cant count deal that also pay for phone lines or cable tv.. Its gotta be the internet section only (so it does not include the 10.50 bt charge for line rental!)
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

echelon wrote:Yea both vodafone n 3 are offering internet deals.. Is 3 offering a special modem for ur computer as well?? cus I think I've seen vodafone offering that..
I don't think so, but I'm not entirely sure. I have connected using my old Three phone before, spoofing the User-Agent and using their Intranet. The plan was to get their games and hack them so they don't phone home, but I just couldn't be bothered in the end!
would be interesting wat ITS will do if ppl start to simply demand to get their £5 refunded and then get internet through 3 or vodafone :P
It would serve them right :-)
Would be better of course if resnet actually just got to a level that was acceptable for the price that is actually being paid.. Not like the users are paying for wat they get.. they're paying more than me (I've got a 2Mbit). cus u cant count deal that also pay for phone lines or cable tv.. Its gotta be the internet section only (so it does not include the 10.50 bt charge for line rental!)
Agreed. A letter really has to get written. I would have written one myself if I was on campus.

Cocodude