dc working?

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

huttdaniel

dc working?

Post by huttdaniel »

was able to connect to dc++ for the first time today in ages, but cant connect now (well says connected but noo users)... anyone know whats going on?
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Yes, DC++ is working fine.
Could people please not start hundreds of threads about 'is DC++ working'.
If there is a problem with the hub or whatever, we will post on the forums; until then assume that there is no problem with the hub.
huttdaniel

Post by huttdaniel »

well ive obviously only posted it because i am unable to connect... havent been able to for ages and finally managed today but not anymore

and this has been the same today for a number of my friends on campus, so was wondering if there was a reason, seeing as though some pattern was emerging???????
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

From what I can see, we're back to the position we were in a week or two ago. You can connect, but it is likely to take many attempts to get the connection request through the traffic shaper, which has DC (and other p2p) on a very low priority. Once connected however, everything works as it should.
So you just need to be patient and allow your client time to connect.
johnno

Post by johnno »

are you sure they've not blocked it all together....as the acceptable use policy on the resnet page (here)
"The following uses of the service are unacceptable and may result in disciplinary measures being taken
* Using Peer to Peer file sharing applications (e.g. Bittorrent, Kazaa, Gnutella, DC++)
Minor breaches of this policy will be handed under the regulations concerning minor disciplinary offences (regulation 24 subsection 6 and 7). These can result in a fine of up to £100.

More serious breaches (such as a major breach of confidentially, harassment, or illegal activities) or repeated minor breaches may lead to action under the Major Offences procedure (regulation 24 subsections 8 and 9). In serious cases legal action may also be taken.

The University will co-operate fully with the police and other law enforcement agencies in any criminal investigations.
I'm sure that it didnt say that in the printed one I got on my desk in my room. Maybe they changed the policy?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

You're right, they seem to have changed it, I'm almost certain it didn't specifically mention DC++ before.
Doubt they've blocked it entirely though as 120 people are online currently, alot of whom are on campus.
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

Well, you didn't agree to that policy and they haven't notified anybody of the changes to their T&Cs. I hope some letter does get sent to ICT - it's *appauling* that valid programs are banned on the network when you're paying about £22/month for the service!

Cocodude
PanMaster
twofo fucksmudge

Post by PanMaster »

DC++ doesn't work again, however, I'm now getting consistent pings <=150 8) .
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

panmaster - you are a true thorough bred retard, bred from the finest purest retards, who themselves come from a long line of pure retards.

one could say you are the purest of the retards.... King... no, God of retards!

.... DC++ has been working 24/7 for 4 days and the server itself for a week. Just stop saying random crap and think before you write anything... it might help...

I did actually re-read my post, thinking "is it too harsh? too insensitive?" but then i looked at what u've posted... and nah... i stand by my statement (or in this case, insults).[/img]
Satan Commands Me
boller

Post by boller »

That is a little harsh. :D
CrAzYfOoL
Forum Spammer

Post by CrAzYfOoL »

All i can say is i actually fell of my chair laughing when i read that !!! lol and no its fair due to the lack of common sence on pans part!
PanMaster
twofo fucksmudge

Post by PanMaster »

Well I dont know anything about thorough bred retards, but I do know something about AMD Athlon Thoroughbred cores.
I take it highly offensively when you say I'm a retard :lol: as you are implying I have an IQ less than 70.
huttdaniel

Post by huttdaniel »

why all the bitchin?? can someone just help me with tryin to connect to dc..... left it on for a whole day but couldnt connect?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Look spamming the twofo forums certainly isnt gonna get u connected quicker!! With the traffic shaper in place it could take a couple days or weeks to get connected.. it all depends on the rest of the network and whether ppl are using the connection for somethin else!! Otherwise ITS might have blocked it.. but guess wat! NONE OF THE OFF-CAMPUS PPL WILL BE ABLE TO TELL U!! (hint: ITS are the only ones that know for sure!)

Also with the AUP - no it certainly did not say it!! I remember commenting on the fact that DC++ was not mentioned!! I reckon we just make everyone switch to DC server and clients.. Wonder whether they'll go change it to Direct Connect apps!! lol

ITS if u're reading this!! Stop wasting ur time blocked DC++ and fix the Resnet instead!!
adfad666

Post by adfad666 »

hey, i use RevConnect to connect to the twofo server, and since that isn't mentioned i'm fine :D