Everytime I try to login to the hub...

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

senorita

Everytime I try to login to the hub...

Post by senorita »

... i get an error like the following *** An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

what does this mean? i'm on campus, using the wireless connection. I've tried to use DC++ before off campus and was not technologically competent enough to deal with port forwarding, so I tried using it on campus... can anyone help me?!
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

By wireless connection you mean, the university wireless connection in the library? or something else.

You can not connect to twofo using the universities wireless connection. It is a very restricted network and you will not be able to download from other people on campus.

For port forwarding there are some excellent guides at www.portforward.com

What nick are you using on dc++ and what is your IP?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

As Rampage says, you won't be able to use the wireless connection on campus to connect to the hub, even using stunnel, as it's blocked. You have to use the wired connection via the port in your room.
senorita

Post by senorita »

ah okay thanks for the help. yeah i was using the wireless hotspot in the library... so if I live off-campus and don't want to port-forward, can i use dc++ by plugging my laptop into the ethernet sockets in the library? or does it have to be the ones in halls? i've used either nikki28 or senorita when trying to login... should you use the same nick as you use on this forum?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

You won't be able to download from people on campus (at the fast on campus speeds) from anywhere on campus except from a resnet room itself. Plugging into the network from anywhere else will be the same as connecting from home in passive mode, which would be far better for you, as to get slots when off campus you may have to wait a long time online.
Rampage

Post by Rampage »

Yes you can use it if you plug it into the sockets. But then you need to connect to hub.twofo.co.uk:4144 not localhost:8000.

Now if you use these ports then you can download from people off campus only. You will not be able to download from anyone on resnet. (so yes it has to be in halls to download from other on campus users)

Your best option is connecting from home (off campus) and setting up port forwarding using guides at www.portforward.com If not you can use passive mode which is much inferior and should be a last resort.

On another note speeds off campus will be quite slow (say 30kb/s max) so you are better off downloading torrents.

I find it easier to have just one nick, but its up to you. Hope this helps