Help connecting from on campus?

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

MisterPink

Help connecting from on campus?

Post by MisterPink »

Hi, I've followed all the instructions on the site (ie using stunnel, with dc in direct connect mode and the ip address typed in) but whenever I try to connect I get the following:

*** Connecting to localhost:8000...
*** No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

I've turned my firewall off and it's made no difference. I can't think what else could be stopping it from working - any ideas?

Cheers
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Is stunnel actually running?
The stunnel icon should be in the system tray, and you would be able to double click and open it to see a window with some random text on it.
MisterPink

Post by MisterPink »

It's running in the system tray, but says 0 sessions active. The text in the stunnel screen is:

2007.10.02 19:39:09 LOG5[3312:1680]: stunnel 4.15 on x86-pc-mingw32-gnu with OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
2007.10.02 19:39:09 LOG5[3312:1680]: Threading:WIN32 SSL:ENGINE Sockets:SELECT,IPv6
2007.10.02 19:39:09 LOG5[3312:2424]: No limit detected for the number of clients

I don't know what it's meant to say but I have a suspicion there should be more than this...
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Where did you get stunnel from? From the stunnel website, or from the link provided on the wiki?
http://astropointier.googlepages.com/stunnel.zip

The basic stunnel from their homepage would need configuring if you got that, hence why we put up the preconfigured one above
MisterPink

Post by MisterPink »

I got the configured one from the help page on this site, and I've tried deleting/downloading again and still get the same thing. I'm in Tocil if that makes any difference?
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

When you try to connect to localhost:8000, does the stuff int he stunnel window change at all?
MisterPink

Post by MisterPink »

woah that was quick! it doesn't change at all, no.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

OK are you sure you disabled all your firewalls? Something seems to be blocking communication between DC++ and stunnel. (Including the windows one if that is still running in the background)

As something else to check, can you open the stunnel.conf file in notepad/wordpad and scroll down to about the middle, there should be 3 lines as follows
[twofo test]
connect = hub.twofo.co.uk:4146
accept = 127.0.0.1:8000
As well as some other miscellaneous twofo stuff (left over from previous versions of the hub if you get curious :P)

Really not sure why this is happening to you though. Most other people seem to be managing fine with the basic default settings and such :?
MisterPink

Post by MisterPink »

The firewall's definitely off, and the lines u mentioned are all present and correct. The only other thing I can think of is that some of the services necessary to run it are disabled from me tweaking them at some point... I've tried turning nearly all of them on (control panel-administrative tools-services) but it makes no difference. I don't suppose you'd know which ones are needed to run stunnel?

It seems I might have shot myself in the foot, but I really can't be arsed with a clean install...
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Try connecting DC++ directly to hub.twofo.co.uk:4144 See what happens
MisterPink

Post by MisterPink »

I get exactly the same error message as before:
*** Connecting to hub.twofo.co.uk:4144...
*** No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
I tried 4146 as well since it was in the config file; got the same message.

The same thing happens when I try to connect to made up server names too, although it seems to take a little longer.
Last edited by MisterPink on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

*** Connecting to localhost:8000...
I said connect to hub.twofo.co.uk:4144 , not the localhost:8000 one :P
MisterPink

Post by MisterPink »

Just edited my post! I copied the message from my post above because it was (almost) identical :oops:
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Ah right.

If you are still getting that then your DC++ client is rather massively broken for some reason, either blocking itself somehow or just broken. Try uninstalling it completely, remove the Program Files folder after uninstalling, then downloading the latest version from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dcpl ... irror=kent
MisterPink

Post by MisterPink »

Nope, still no joy. In a way I'm slightly glad it wasn't that simple after wasting so much time... I did get this message when I started DC though:
[00:47] TLS disabled, failed to generate certificate: The system cannot find the file specified.
[00:47] Failed to load certificate file
[00:47] File list refresh initiated
[00:47] File list refresh finished
TLS and SSL are related somehow aren't they?