Help twofo !

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

fruc

Help twofo !

Post by fruc »

Hi, i was sharing well and dandy then i played with my zonealarm settings, as described by huck i believe in the firewall setup; before the playing i was connecting and uploading fine, then i could only upload, then i deleted all changes and again couldn't connect... so i deleted DC and re-installed which leads to my new problem ---

Whenever i try to connect now i recieve the following message - In the blue title bar - DCPlusPlus.exe - No Disk

Then the message says there is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Drive\Harddisk2\DR4.

Whats happening?

Me no like!
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

The hub is currently down anyway I'm sorry to say (and has been since some time last night). Once all is running properly again then try to connect and see if you get the same error and post back. (That means that I don't remember ever having seen that error message before so am not sure what to suggest really at the moment)
Did you delete all the settings for DC++ that you created from in ZA before you reinstalled DC? Did you download a proper copy of DC++ from sourceforge.net and not some fake one randomly off google?
fruc

Post by fruc »

Thanks for the reply, i tried again tonight 00:10 16june) and got the same error message. All ZA is as was and ive not changed anything else. :( i want the hub back :(
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Hub is back up so it ought to be working. Have you tried with ZA disabled? Have you tried a clean install of DC++ (uninstalling + deleting all current files relating to it in program files and reinstalling?)
fruc

Post by fruc »

Ive tried all that, re-installed ZA and discarded all otions on DC reinstallation - think the only thing for it will be a system wipe after exams - still want to know what the problem was tho.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

I've never seen an error like \Drive\Harddisk2\DR4 before so am not sure what to suggest really :s
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Try re-installing the hard disk controller?
fruc

Post by fruc »

""Try re-installing the hard disk controller?""

Whats this and how do i do it?
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

through device manager you can access hard drive controllers. However i don't see how BigG's suggestion will help.

You could try and get another client from a different source, or just a slightly older version.
Satan Commands Me
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Zeus wrote:through device manager you can access hard drive controllers. However i don't see how BigG's suggestion will help.

You could try and get another client from a different source, or just a slightly older version.
I believe BigG was hinting at that it seems the Hard Disk controller is preventing DC from properly recognising the harddrive, which in this case is likely an external Hard Drive. It may even be unplugged. Funny thing is that it shouldn't usually throw an error as a result. I reckon u've not actually delete all the option files. Windows hides a lot of config stuff all over the places in many disorganised places. One of such places is the applications data folder in the Document and Setting Folder etc.. I believe your problem is a previous install of DC conflicting with ur system. Are you using the regular DC++ or are u using another client?
fruc

Post by fruc »

A couple of days ago i tried again, leaving everything as was and it worked perfectly, how strange? ive now wiped and as such am ready to join again. Any tips on quick hashing?
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

fruc wrote:Any tips on quick hashing?
Faster hard drive ;)

And well done on "fixing" it. Take all the credit :P
fruc

Post by fruc »

All setup, now hashing the first 250gb, only 7.5 hours left ( NOW 12 [WHY??]).. NO now 8!!!D'Oh, anyways will sort the rest out over the next few days... is it safe to use dc during 'office hours' due to the higher risk of being caught??
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Considering that all they will be doing is reading data out of their logs to track people, I can't see office hours making much of a difference. They would have to be employing people to sit there and just watch traffic graphs all day long, which is silly even by their standards
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

astropoint wrote:Considering that all they will be doing is reading data out of their logs to track people, I can't see office hours making much of a difference. They would have to be employing people to sit there and just watch traffic graphs all day long, which is silly even by their standards
don't kno that it matters.. they're likely to be too incompetent to even read the traffic graphs properly.. so my advice is to block external connections as that is definitely a wise move and will reduce your chances of being caught. Also with the new policy you get a warning first and not a fine right off at the beginning.