Leechers + Min Share

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Leechers + Min Share

Post by astropoint »

Due to a certain arsehole who was online earlier (and the generally high level of leeching without resharing going on on the hub), the min share has been temporarily increased to 100GiB. Yes it's harsh, and no doubt this thread is about to get 50 replies saying you don;t have that much space to share that much. believe me WE KNOW already.
The idea of this is to get the idea across to those of you who are downloading masses (many tens of GB) and then coming ontot he hub to share as little as possible. This is not the idea of the minimum share nor is it in the spirit of the hub itself. You come online, you download - brilliant, yes, but for heaven's sake reshare it. Imagine if all those people you are downloading off, decided they didn't want to share, and so we had a whole hub full of 5GiB sharing people. Then what would happen?
The limit will be lowered again tomorrow.
[21:20:29] <Zeus> Zeus is kicking RLS1 because: feel like sharing?
[21:24:38] <RLS> zeus, what do you mean "not feel like sharing?"
[21:24:50] <yoinkster> there was no not there
[21:24:56] <yoinkster> but what he means is
[21:24:57] <yoinkster> share more
[21:25:12] <RLS> how can i share more if he kiks me?
[21:25:29] <yoinkster> .... just add more to ur share
[21:25:32] <yoinkster> then he wont kick u
[21:25:43] <astropoint> File -> Settings -> Sharing -> Add Folder
[21:25:52] <RLS> also, the minimum share for the hub is 5GB, im sharing at least that
[21:25:52] <astropoint> and add in the folders where you downlaod stuff to
[21:25:59] <astropoint> oh good
[21:26:02] <yoinkster> yeah fuck the min share
[21:26:02] <astropoint> that's alright thenm
[21:26:04] <astropoint> hey everybody
[21:26:05] <RLS> if you want me to share more, raise the limit
[21:26:08] <astropoint> share 5GiB now please
[21:26:13] <astropoint> that is *everyboidy*
[21:26:17] <Zeus> actually u twit i said "feel like sharing"
[21:26:17] <astropoint> thgen see what happens to the hub
[21:26:24] <yoinkster> if everyone shared just over the min share to get in then thered be no point being here cos everyone would be sharing 5.01gb
[21:26:26] <RLS> whatever
[21:26:27] <astropoint> arogant bastard
[21:26:33] <astropoint> astropoint is kicking RLS because: Piss off
Sorry :(
Last edited by astropoint on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

what exactly are you apologising for ?
you and we have nothing to be sorry for,
if you can't stump up 100GiB tonight then tough luck buddy.
if you can ... then this begs the question, why didn't you before ?
and when he says the minshare will be lowered again tomorrow ...
there is a 0% chance of it going back to 5GiB, we have yet to decide where it will be set.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yoinkster wrote:what exactly are you apologising for ?
you and we have nothing to be sorry for,
if you can't stump up 100GiB tonight then tough luck buddy.
if you can ... then this begs the question, why didn't you before ?
and when he says the minshare will be lowered again tomorrow ...
there is a 0% chance of it going back to 5GiB, we have yet to decide where it will be set.
I agree entirely.. nothing to be sorry about.. and yes wat an arrogant fool. I'm still saying we should switch to Verlihub where you can give more user levels. Then you make the min share 100-200 GiB and make a threshold for VIP users at 10-20GiB and then give VIP status to users that have proven that they are loyal and not leechers and to those that can prove they do not have the capacity to share more ie only 40 GiB laptop HD and no external. Of course proving this matter will be hard and may end up being a case of whether an OP is able to check ur situation, or knows you personally.

Otherwise if we stay with openDC then 30 GiB should the absolute minimum since most laptops today are shipped with 40-60 GiB minimum (with most having 80-120) and so even laptop users without external will be able to share that.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

You think it will ever change to verlihub now given how much has been done to the Dog ;)
Otherwise if we stay with openDC then 30 GiB should the absolute minimum since most laptops today are shipped with 40-60 GiB minimum (with most having 80-120) and so even laptop users without external will be able to share that.
Take it back 3-4 years and think what size drives were being shipped around then (~40GiB) and people will still have those laptops. So 20GiB as a maximum I say, 10-15 would be fairer
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

astropoint wrote:You think it will ever change to verlihub now given how much has been done to the Dog ;)
Take it back 3-4 years and think what size drives were being shipped around then (~40GiB) and people will still have those laptops. So 20GiB as a maximum I say, 10-15 would be fairer
I say keep it high for a while and see how it goes. This will also help make ppl understand about the minimum share and the fact that sharing the bare minimum isn't enough.
anon1987

Post by anon1987 »

Would have to be more than 3 years old if its only got a 40G Hard Drive, mine's just passed it's 3rd birthday last month and came with a 120.

Still, can't see the problem with sharing more than 20G with a small drive as I use less than 10G for windows/software etc. If you use lots of different software and programs that consume vast quantities of disk space, then surely you would have a PC with a larger hard drive in the first place.

Then again, I'm not expert with computers so perhaps I'm missing the point
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

My laptop 4 years ago came with 60GiB and it was pretty high end then :s Alot of people had 40.
In the end there is no way we can pelase everybody. Min share too low means it gets abused massively. Min share anything higher and we get loads of complaints whinging about lack of hard drive space
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

This has been set back to 5GiB for the time being.

We are going to have to have a review of the minimum share as it is [and has been for a while] being abused.

As has been pointed out, the minimum share is NOT an indication of the 'acceptable' amount to share.

You should share everything that you download in order to maintain a level of redundancy/diversity in the hub. It should not, and is indeed NOT the responsibility of the top few sharers to be the sole distributor of files. The more copies there are the better the hub is.

<SARCASM class="O RLY">If everybody shared the bare minimum then it'd be truly great for the hub</SARCASM>

If you genuinely don't have the space, please try to re-share the new TV shows/ any new downloads that you do for at least a week - you wanted them so there is a high chance that someone else will too!

A note about boot disks - mine has a 110GiB partition of which 90GiB is used [with no media on there] so everything is somewhat relative.

Oh, and finally. Why the fuck are there wankers in so-called 'civilized society' like the above pillock. You are everything that is wrong with society personified [well, either that or you couldn't hit a barn door with a shotgun from 5 yards...] You should be truly ashamed by your thoughtlessness and complete disregard for anyone else apart from yourself. I hope you get hit by a bus.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

BigG wrote:If you genuinely don't have the space, please try to re-share the new TV shows/ any new downloads that you do for at least a week - you wanted them so there is a high chance that someone else will too!
Yup this means that if u're a low sharer then you should at least aim to share high demand files such as recent episodes of popular tv shows (of which you download.. not sayin share even if u dont watch them :P)... Helps to take the load off the main big sharers.
BigG wrote:A note about boot disks - mine has a 110GiB partition of which 90GiB is used [with no media on there] so everything is somewhat relative.
Yes everything is relative, but really if u only have a 20-40 GiB HD you're unlikely to be using ur computer for much more than the basics and so will only have very basic installs. Any "bigger" computer user would have purchased a newer laptop due to prioritising it higher.
BigG wrote:Oh, and finally. Why the fuck are there wankers in so-called 'civilized society' like the above pillock. You are everything that is wrong with society personified [well, either that or you couldn't hit a barn door with a shotgun from 5 yards...] You should be truly ashamed by your thoughtlessness and complete disregard for anyone else apart from yourself. I hope you get hit by a bus.
Well put.. simply well put.. I still don't understand how someone can be that arrogant and selfish.. meh seems even uni have plenty of ppl not worth keeping in this world :P
fruc

Post by fruc »

I just bought a 500gb Hd (ext) for under £90. Considering the money saved by 'trying' stuff before use theres no excuse for a share of under 250Gb. As i see it that will cost about £45, roughly the same as ONE series of a HDTV show, with the external HD and Dc giving you 250/15 times as much! drunk rants but think it all makes sense.