Gnutella and BearShare

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

johnnimbus

Gnutella and BearShare

Post by johnnimbus »

Hi. I have been trying to connect to the Gnutella network via Bearshare without success. I am on campus.

I have disabled teh Windows XP Firewall but it still will not connect. I have not had problems connecting from other computers.

The port that it uses is 6346 if that helps.

Would port forwarding or changing the port help? Not really sure how to do any of these things.

Does IT Services block certain ports?

Many thanks.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

They are blocked in their entirety on resnet. As is torrenting and even DC++.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/ ... eertopeer/

The only reason you can connect to twofo is due to stunnel. And no, stunnel will not allow you to use Bearshare (or any other p2p program)
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Re: Gnutella and BearShare

Post by echelon »

johnnimbus wrote:Hi. I have been trying to connect to the Gnutella network via Bearshare without success. I am on campus.

I have disabled teh Windows XP Firewall but it still will not connect. I have not had problems connecting from other computers.

The port that it uses is 6346 if that helps.

Would port forwarding or changing the port help? Not really sure how to do any of these things.

Does IT Services block certain ports?

Many thanks.
haha this is funny.. so wait u've not actually bothered reading the ITS website or any of the material they've been sending u ppl... the AUP explicitly states that Bearshare is not allowed... so wat u thought they'd just state that and not block it? they may be incompetent, but not entirely stupid