Disconnected

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

Zed0

Disconnected

Post by Zed0 »

I've been disconnected from Resnet at the moment for p2p (thats what they said so I expect they mean DC++)
However as far as I can tell they've just blocked the MAC address I was using which could make for easy reconnection. I doubt I'm going to risk reconnecting to twofo though.

Cheers for the services you've all provided.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Feck. Sorry Zed0.
Thought we were massively low on users this morning :(
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Thanks for informing us, sorry you got blocked.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Twinklefeet has been cut off too apparently :(
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

I would advice that you claim innocent and demand to see what they are basing their claim on. I doubt they have anything more than large bandwidth usage. If you really wanna go through with it delete all P2P programs and traces of it and then if they say that they want to check ur computer then they won't be able to find any P2P programs on it either. Could possibly get you off the hook.

This does imply that all on-campus users should watch out and "play it safe"
clearvision

Post by clearvision »

I'm a bit baffled to how they could track it. I can understand if you're leeching like 100GB in a day, it'd be pretty obvious, but :-/

I haven't connected since i heard this news. I'd like to know more info on what is actually going on but i don't know how i'm gonna get it.

Is it a £35 fine or is it £80?
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

In theory, they can't even track the 100GB a day, as that's all internal usage. but like I say, that's only in theory, we really don't knowhow they are tracking people.
It is also possible that they are using some form of external bandwidth (although what I don't know) as this would be the only thing passing through their traffic shaper. Blocking external connections/transfers with your firewall ought to stop this. There are guides for this at http://www.twofo.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Help:Contents

AS for the disconnection charges, they are listed at
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/ ... onnection/
Your guess is as good as ours as to which one of the categories ITS will put simply DC++ usage under
Zed0

Post by Zed0 »

They've put me under the 28 days disconnection and £50 fine.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Nasty nasty nasty :(
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Yes I expected that one. The copyright infringement one (with nasty £70 fine) is most likely things like microsoft source code. Basically so they can tell Microsoft (evil bastards) that they're actively seeking out copyright infringing material on the network, but since they're unlikely to actually know what is being transfered I would think it highly unlikey for them to use it :P
Zed0

Post by Zed0 »

Well I'm leeching a kitchen mate's wireless now and its working fine.
Blood God

Post by Blood God »

Zed0 wrote:Well I'm leeching a kitchen mate's wireless now and its working fine.
Until they get caught, shutoff, and fined too for having the wireless.
Zed0

Post by Zed0 »

Can they tell if you are connection sharing? I'm not going to do any high bandwidth or p2p stuff on someone elses connection, I just wanted the internet.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Zed0 wrote:Can they tell if you are connection sharing? I'm not going to do any high bandwidth or p2p stuff on someone elses connection, I just wanted the internet.
I don't know whether they check now, but I had a wireless access point running in my room doing most of my 1st year and so did several of my hall mates.

They have become a lot more gestapo like since then though. Also it could be quite easy to detect a wireless access point since unless the access point does not announce itself, you could just use the small portable wireless network finders. This may be above ITS level of competency tho :lol:
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

There are quite a few running on resnet from what I;ve heard. So you're probably safe