Disconnected

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Looks like there's been another large batch of disconnections today :cry:
kev//

Post by kev// »

I was disconnected as well today. I haven't received any official email from ITS yet but was told by my tutor that it's 28 days + £50. ahhhhhhhhhh

has any blocked user managed to connect by changing their MAC or via some other obscure method?
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

As far as I know they just disconnect the cable to your room at the server, so I doubt it. So short of leeching off somebody else's port somehow, I can't see how it's possible
clearvision

Post by clearvision »

Do we know any more on the situation?

Has anyone demanded proof from ITS that they used DC++?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

clearvision wrote:Do we know any more on the situation?

Has anyone demanded proof from ITS that they used DC++?
I certainly would if it was me, since (as already mentioned) I don't believe them to have any such documentation. I believe they're running entirely on the gestapo intemidation method :P I would defintely challenge them and ask for this documentation. Argue that you used Skype and transfers on MSN and ask whether these could not have been mistaken for P2P transfers. Then demand that they show what they're basing their accusations on.
Nima

Post by Nima »

I was disconnected around the 25th/26th of January. Does ITS have to catch you in the process of file-sharing, as in, whilst actively engaged in downloading/uploading? Many of my friends use DC++ all the time and have not been caught, but they admit to simply logging off straight after they've finished downloading. I often left mine on all night.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Connections on campus (ie. Resnet <-> Resnet) can;t be tracked by ITS as it's all internal, so it;s not really a case of how long people stay online sharing. How we think they track people is by watching what information passes through their traffic shaper which sits between the Resnet and the rest of the world. When connects/transfers pass through this is fairly random, which is probably why the disconnections are totally random and in no way related to how much a person uses DC (There are people who both use DC all the time AND use it once a week for just one thing, staying online jsut long enough to get it, or whatever who have been caught)
As such, about the best thing you can do for yourselves on campus is to block external connections to your DC++. This should prevent connections/whatever passing through the traffic shaper and being detectable (As well as the standard using Active/Direct Connection mode and using stunnel to actually connect to the hub.) Guides to doing this on a variety of firewalls can be found on the help page of the wiki at http://www.twofo.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Help