ResNet Update (P2P + Traffic Shaping)

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

fattymatty

Post by fattymatty »

Just to let you know that an independent consultant has come in over and the network is going to be rebuilt provisionally going live on Tuesday.

To the end user (you in your room), this should allow ADSL speed to the internet. This is going to be done by allowing several blocks (e.g. Rootes A-D) a section of the bandwidth. This will remove the current port prioritisation that exists i.e. turning the network into a normal ISP.

Hope that helps.
PanMaster
twofo fucksmudge

Post by PanMaster »

I have been finding internet performance excellent this week, its never been this good. I get occassional slowdowns but nothing compared to what used to happen. The reduction in P2P traffic must have reduced my ping ten-fold and its a lot more consistent.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

ADSL speeds, ain't that a bit crap considering we're paying over 20pounds a month and it's a crippled connection.
"Fear the day when the president sends an icq message to the loser saying 'eye fuxx0red j00!!'"
johndddd

Post by johndddd »

fattymatty, how do u know this information? I looked on the ITS site and it did not mention anything like that.
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

I have noticed 29 subnets in the resnet. Unless they are also increasing the total external bandwidth significantly, dividing up the 60Mbit connection equally gives roughly a 2Mbit connection per 200 users. In theory that sounds worse, if one block cannot use spare bandwith in another. But seeing as there probably never is any unused bandwith...
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

The external line is gigabit....
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

The resnet's external connection is capped at 60Mbit
cocodude
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by cocodude »

I'm pretty sure two years ago it was capped at 40Mbit, with a max of 4Mbit per user at any time, so there's an improvement there at least.

Cocodude
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

I believe its currently capped at 44Mbit not 60Mbit!! that was the speed last year and at the beginning of the year..
boller

Post by boller »

it's now 80
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Yup u're right

ITS: "Available Bandwidth increased to 80Mbps : an increase of 100% since the start of term"

So it started at 40Mbps went to 60 Mbps and now is at 80Mbps..

At least they've realized 40Mbps wasnt gonna give a decent service!! A thumbs up for ITS for getting that far.. now the question is whether they can move on and also realize their remaining mistakes!!