Windows Uses 20% of your BW - How to get it back!

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

God

Windows Uses 20% of your BW - How to get it back!

Post by God »

Came across this on a torrent site, and it seems to work nicely so here we go.

This ONLY applies on windows XP PRO, Windows 2000, and The 2003 Server family. It is not possible to change this setting on any other windows OS's
Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

windows, windows... /me shakes my head... Windows always does things without asking and yet ppl still wonder why I prefer linux...
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

I just know you wouldn't be able to resist posting something on here :P
firstchoice

Post by firstchoice »

echelon wrote:windows, windows... /me shakes my head... Windows always does things without asking and yet ppl still wonder why I prefer linux...
I still wonder why. Windows attempts to do things that won't affect the majority of users, and that advanced users are able to tinker with by either using addons or powertoys or editing the registry. Linux just isn't friendly enough for the majority of people to use, let alone install for themselves, even with newer distros which attempt to make it less painful.

Keep Linux where it belongs - in a machine room with a text-mode command prompt flashing in the corner! :P
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

Woooooooo!!!! Go go firstchoice!!!1111 :D :D
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yeah the lame replacement of linux by the word windows is just pure lame... it's a lame way to try and defend a pathetic excuse of an operating system. windows is neither user friendly as it always breaks and poor souls have to fight to repair it... Lin ux is far more stable
BigG
Forum Spammer

Post by BigG »

No, it's called a joke.

We thought that it would be amusing as we are all thoroughly pissed off with it.
yoinkster

Post by yoinkster »

does this guy ever shutup about that fucking OS
ppl that wanna use it are already on it and those that dont know how to use it and dont wanna learn arent.
simple as.
so shutup about it
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

they can't

they're like christians in africa, everyone must convert (otherwise no food)

if you're a fuckass and got offended, watch southpark
Satan Commands Me
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

yoinkster wrote:does this guy ever shutup about that fucking OS
ppl that wanna use it are already on it and those that dont know how to use it and dont wanna learn arent.
simple as.
so shutup about it
no there are many that wanna learn but just need the push.. now even Dell is goin to supply their machines with Lin ux pre-installed. There is a growing interest in lin ux. Just because you don't want/like it doesn't mean everyone else isn't intereted. I'm afraid the lin ux as a desktop OS has only just started as a phenomena and it is only gonna get bigger. So u're likely to hear more rather than less about it!!