going undetected

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

vivalajonny

going undetected

Post by vivalajonny »

I haven't been on DC++ since moving off campus because in the rules for my house, it states that our broadband will be withdrawn if there is eveidence that we have been filesharing (i.e. external filesharing).

I've been wondering if it would be safe to do what I did last year and connect using socks5, then switching back to active once connected.

If not, are there any other ways of using DC++/other P2P without being found out? There are four other people living in the house so I want to be safe.

If all else fails, is it possible to connect from a non-residential campus socket without being spotted?

Please help as there are quite a few new Family Guy episodes out now.
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Socks5 would only connect you to the hub, not mask any downloading you do. And that's banned from the hub for other reasons anyway.
Lots of people with Warwick accommodation broadband have been on the hub since the start of term, and were on the hub all last year. As far as i know, Warwick don't actively monitor your connections. They just install the router/set up the connection with an ISP, so as long as you're not doing crazy amounts of downloading, you ought to be safe
vivalajonny

Post by vivalajonny »

I'm not with Warwick Accomodation anymore, I'm with SNS Housing, and I have no idea how closely they monitor their internet usage. They're hardly likely to empoy people specifically to check it, but on the other hand no other provider will ever match Warwick Accomodation in the toothless bulldog stakes.

All it says in the rules is that items downloaded from the internet must be legal and not immoral. I'm still not sure I want to risk it.

Also, I realised that there were issues with socks5, but thought that connectiung using socks5 and then switching to active connection was ok.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

It was OK on the whole, but people weren't doing it and subsequently sending connections/searches and even transfers via the socks5 server (and hence through the traffic shaper making it easer to detect). Not to mention that is was pretty unstable, often dropping people off the hub for no reason whatsoever.
Like I said before, connecting via socks5 and switching back to active would mean only the connection to the hub went via the socks5 server, any transfers would still be on the DC++ protocol and be detectable as such.

However, your ISP (who SNS will simply have a deal with for providing internet) will be be like every other commercial internet provider in the country. They *all* have the things about not using p2p for illegal downloads which they won't care about unless you start going over your download limits regularly (or if it's an unlimited one, excessive usage)

Obviously, there's no such thing as completely risk free downloading, but DC++ is one of the lowest profile ones. How often do you hear about the MPAA and such going after people on a DC++ hub?
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

They generally don't they target other protocols mostly, despite DC being one of the oldest around still transferring large amounts.

Also I'm gonna stress what astro said about socks5 not being secure! Just so that nobody that reads this topic sees vivalajonny's silly commnts about socks5:

SOCKS5 IS NOT SECURE!! Socks5 only REROUTES traffic through a socks5 proxy server. This can turn out to be less secure and MORE LIKELY TO BE CAUGHT! The only case where proxies really make you more secure is if you have several lines of them piping through each other with so many users that you will hard to trace through the mess. One small socks5 certainly won't do that for you and will slow ur connction down and generally be a pain for the hub... so no forget it!! DON'T USE IT!!!
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

And anybody who connects using it now is instantly kicked by Dogtanian :wink: