On-Campus, ITS and fines.

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

MrPin

On-Campus, ITS and fines.

Post by MrPin »

Right, what with the Acceptable Use Policy changing this year and everything it seems nobody knows what the deal is with using twofo. We know that it will be frowned upon but it seems nobody knows how likely it is we'll be found and disconnected or anything. Essentially we're all taking a risk, I imagine those with a higher share count will be more visible simply due to the higher amount of data they're transferring, but we're all in a similar position.

So far I havn't heard of anyone getting any grief for using the hub but it could just be a matter of time I suppose, if/when the trained monkeys in ITS find out what to do we might get word that someone's been banned. Since we're all in the same position and any one of us could potentially be hit with a fine at any time I propose that the community helps pay for whatever fines are dished out. If it looks like they're really on top of things we might have to stop using it altogether, and it would be a shame to let a few people get fined and the rest of us get off scot free, so in the hypothetical situation that someone on campus gets fined, would anyone be up for contributing towards paying it? This might be a stupid idea but I don't see why it wouldn't work. We're all using the service, it's free, fast and excellent and the more users we have the better. It would be a real shame if a few individuals got hit with a fine and the rest of us just stood aside and watched. Thoughts?
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

In terms of hiding from ITS, you can always block external connections to DC++ using your firewall (Guides on the wiki), and in theory on campus transfers shouldn't be detected by ITS. However I agree that it's only a matter of time before ITS start doing something.
(I know that was slightly off topic, but it ought to help a bit and not everybody will have thought about it)

As for the fines thing, it's a nice idea, but I really can't see it working unless just you and a group of people you know agree on it, rather than just a vague thing with people you have never met and don't know if you can rely on.
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

otherwise if everyone agrees to it (which I highly doubt) we create a paypal account (hub owner or an op) and make the hub reg-only and ppl have to pay a small deposit to get registered. If nothing happens the deposit is then returned at the end of the year. If something happens the common pile from the account is used to pay for fines.

I highly doubt this will work though. Most ppl are not community oriented they just come onto twofo to leech and so would not want to pay a deposit. So nice idea in theory, but I don't think u'll find it works in real life.