possibilities of on-campus happy times

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

absolutexaero

possibilities of on-campus happy times

Post by absolutexaero »

are being looked into.. currently trying to find out more about how they're monitoring and things of that nature although one of the AUP policies is no server-ing or anything like that. :roll:

any further suggestions or help would be most welcome. currently looking into IRC, ftp and good ole dc.

disclaimer:
Not that I in any way support the use of p2p on campus or would suggest ways to actually use the internet there against the AUP (just to make that 100% clear) Blah blah blah do not encourage piracy blah blah blah no liability blah blah blah ITS are crap etc etc etc (thanks astropoint) : D
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

Most of their loggin/monitor will ahve to be done at the traffic shaper, so any external bandwidth/connections you make.
So for DC/twofo, it's probably a good idea to firewall out any external connections to dc itself (more about this on the wiki).
As for IRC, I know it's technicaly unblocked, but from what else i'd heard, the actual file transfer bit of it was still blocked? Still, anything involving that woudl require a hub of some form, which is probably not a good thing to be running on campus right now :P
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

Any server application would at this point be a risky business. I do not believe ITS will monitor internal traffic as such, but they will likely be monitoring the amount of connection internally on a higher level. What I mean with this is that they will likely check if one subnet is getting a lot of connection from other subnets etc. This means if you had a server, irc or dc (just as examples) running on ur computer they could tell by seeing the large amount of connection your subnet and ur port would be getting from everywhere internally. This said it is unlikely they can monitor ur port bandwidth at the actual port at all times, but I'm sure even ITS can find ways to monitor a single port if they get suspicions of a server running.
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

Any server application would at this point be a risky business
DC++ in active mode acts as a server...
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

And DC++ is banned :wink:
echelon
Uber Forum Spammer

Post by echelon »

astropoint wrote:And DC++ is banned :wink:
therefore making it risky.. However it seems a lot of ppl are getting away with DC++ clients connecting to twofo off-campus, but I highly doubt an on-campus hub would survive much more than a day or so. The consequences for hosting it would most likely also be grave