Clearing up some points...

Chat about twofo and other information sharing portals.

Moderator: Operators

mrchafe

Clearing up some points...

Post by mrchafe »

After coming back and seeing the shit state of the network on campus, (after being here in 2003 and the joys of 10Mb/sec DC++)

1)is it possible to tunnel into the campus network to get faster speed?
2)does stunnel offer protection from an asskicking from ITS for DC++
3)will spoofing your IP in windows by using manual settings instead of auto and picking a ramdon IP offer you any protection from ITS- this used to be a good way of getting round DC++ admin bans ;)
4)will using Ubuntu or any linux OS offer you any protection from traces etc.
5)Any one setup a wifi network in halls?

Cheers, happy 1Mb/s shit surfing
astropoint
The life and soul of the party

Post by astropoint »

1) Possibly for internet (don't ask me how though), but for DC++ transfers, you shoudl still gethte same 10MB/s trasnfer speeds from anybody else connected to the hub from resnet
2) No - they can still trace your IP back to your room
3) No - See (2)
4) No - same again
5) No - you are only allowed 1 IP per port on resnet by ITS so that rules out any kind of Wi-Fi access from within resnet (unless not connected to it at all of course) Anybody caught attaching a switch/WAP to their port is subject to extremely over harsh fines and disconnection periods. See http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/ ... net/rules/ for details

Rememebr that any DC++ transfers will not count towards the downlaod limits on there as it's all internal

Disclaimer

Blah blah blah do not encourage piracy blah blah blah no liability blah blah blah ITS are crap etc etc etc
mrchafe

Post by mrchafe »

So if you use DC++ are you deffo gonna get caught or is it rare that ITS fine you?
btw when i change IP, the internet works fine, but i cant access any warwick sites or email server
Last edited by mrchafe on Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Honestly I can;t say how they're going to do it this year. A total of probably around 100 people were caught last year i think (although some of thsoe were the same people over and over). But the fines are harsher this year and the AUP is stricter fomrt he beginning, so they have more scope to go after people if they want to.

Put simply, we just don;t know how heavily they are going to go after people using it
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

people were fined for building their own wireless/wifi or cable networks. For some strange reason, warwick accomodation didn't like cables going from room to room
Satan Commands Me
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

And attaching it to the resnet
fallingmagpie

Post by fallingmagpie »

Regarding those 100 or so people who did get caught, are you guys aware of anything they had in common? Or does it seem to be just pot luck? I ask as I don't really have any idea as to what would lead to ITS tracing your IP...
How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
mrchafe

Post by mrchafe »

Yea, i cant see ITS being very advanced in their tracking system, its gotta be something basic they are looking out for, find it and hide it lol, must be a way!
And simply, how do they trace?
Why doesnt the n00b method i mentioned work
3)will spoofing your IP in windows by using manual settings instead of auto and picking a ramdon IP offer you any protection from ITS- this used to be a good way of getting round DC++ admin bans Wink
monitor packets using network-monitoring software? are they arsed to do this?
http://linuxgazette.net/issue63/sharma.html
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

Over the past year, they have physically spent thousands and thousands of pounds getting the very best traffic monitoring/shaping hardware that money can buy.
So, put simply, they can track every peice of data that passes through the traffic shaper, and other assorted gizmos, back to where it came from. Alot of the stuff they bought was not jsut for blocking p2p programs, but to help prevent the massive virus outbreaks and in the worse cases, hacking attacks that they were getting last year.

As for why certain people were caught last year for DC++, we simply don't know. One or two people we know were caught 3 times and yet others, like myself, sat on DC++ all year and were never noticed for it.
The only different thing i was doing was blocking external IPs from connecting to DC++ at all, this (in theory) preventing *any* traffic going through the traffic shaper to/from my IP. But then again there were others who weren;t doing this who didn;t get caught either.
mrchafe

Post by mrchafe »

fair enough! sounds like thats a good thing to do then, how do you block external then? just tick an option in DC
astropoint

Post by astropoint »

No, you ahve to do it through your firewall. There's not such blocking option, and for good reason, in DC++ itself.
The only firewalls known to have successfully blocked external connections to DC are Norton, ZoneAlarm and Kerio. Theres a guide to doing it norton at http://home.btconnect.com/ManyHappyReturns/Norton.pdf but no guides for hte other firewalls as of yet. If anybody manages it on ANY firewall and feels they can produce a set of instructions, please send them to me and i can add them onto the wiki.
This does not work on the Windows Firewall (properly) as it doesn;t block enough connections. (Well, I'm prepared to be proved wrong, but I never got it to work)
It basically boils down to producing rules for DC++ in your firewall that block everything except 137.205.0.0-137.205.255.255 (or 137.205.0.0/16 depending on how you add rules), and possibly allowing 127.0.0.1 for the stunnel connection, although norton does this automatically.

EDIT: ZeeClone has dragged up a guide to doing it on ZoneAlarm from when he was on campus, and this is now posted at http://home.btconnect.com/ManyHappyRetu ... eAlarm.pdf
Bear in mind that this effectively puts the resnet, and all associated viruses on a trusted Zone, so is a bit of a secutiry risk. If you find a better way of doing it (properly) in ZoneAlarm, pm one ofthe ops and I'll change the guide.